Help Please Stripping A Coilover Down...

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Well as some of you may know im having suspension problems...
Koni have come through ( or hopefully will have by monday at the latest) and will suply me with the part that broke.
The repair means i need to remove all three rings off the outer threaded body of the shocker,
The coilovers have been on the car a fair while so im looking for tips on how best to clean the thread and to undo the spring platform and locking rings...

Is there any point in spraying loads of WD40 onto them a few days before?
I was thinking get a stiff nylon brush or soft brass wire brush to clean the threads too?
My problem is once ive taken the leg off... im stuck until i can get it back on, So as much forward planning as possible is needed.

In the past I have generally sprayed it with light oil then basically got stuck in with a stiff wire brush.

Theres not much else you can do to be honest, as long as the platforms have not been over tightened you should then be able to unscrew them and if they feel like they are starting to sieze up just keep backing them off then unscrewing again adding more lubricant as you go.

Getting teh locking rings free is usually a nightmare because 9 times out of 10 people are paranoid and beast them up far too tight. When adjusting coilovers the locking ring merely needs a little nip up to secure it in place but in the past I have seen them being so tight that when you try and remove them they snap into pieces !

Its not a fun job if there corroded I can tell you !

Last edited:
As said above, wd40 and wire brush but get ready, i tried to raise my at christmas and mine had only beem fitted for 3 month and the ount of **** in the collar and thread, they were stiff as hell.

I think I would order a set of locking rings and just cut the old ones off and thoroughly clean the threads with a wire wheel, once the corrosion gets into the threads, they are nearly impossible to move, unless you are really lucky.
also, loads of grease/ Vaseline on re-assembly to try and keep things free.