Help with which speakers!! Andy Mac Adaptors or 4" upgrades

RyanS3TT

Reaction score
Hello all, looking to upgrade the sound in my S3 as i get crackle blowing noise after volume 10 :/ (on bose)

I wll be fitting a sub soon, I wanted to know if i could just buy the Bose upgrade as my friends TT sounds amazing and just fit them?

If not, can I just buy 4" components for front and 6.5" for rear?

The andy mac adaptors allow for a 5.25" front is this a huge difference? as I want some superior sounds quality.

Thanks Ryan

The tt Bose does sound good I agree, but the s3 Bose sadly doesn't. It may have done new, but doesn't now. I went after market and there is a good few threads about it in the ICE section. But to simplify it, I fitted 5.25 components in the front with andy adapters, 6x9s in the rear behind the cards, and an andy mac stealth sub and it does sound good considering the size of the sub speaker, but if you want more punch get a 10 or 12" sub in there.

Not sure on your post, but do you mean you have a non-Bose system, if so it will be really simply to go aftermarket. Mine was Bose and I had to rewire it to do so

The adapters allow 5.25" components purely because there are very few 4" units around, so you have far more choice. You have to use adapters to fit 4" units anyway as the A3/S3 use a non standard mounting post fitment and there are no aftermarket custom fit speakers that provide a direct replacement.
Retrofitting Bose is a huge job so I wouldn't even consider it for such a small improvement - complete rewiring job front to back.

Reactions: BtownA3
Im fairly certain its non bose, single speaker sub? and no bose tags anywhere like my old a3.

You fitting 6x9s in the rear door cards?

I have a 8" sub already i plan on fitting, its just a case of fibreglassing myself a box as I have always been one for making things myself.

Andy - So I should look for 5.25s for the front using adaptor? and what about the rear? standard 6.5s?

I fitted 6x9s behind the door cards, roughly behind the speaker grills because you get alot more bang for your buck in 6x9s it seems. Ok it's not technically ideal having it behind door cards because of acoustics, but i put loads of decent sound deadening stuff on the outer skin, and it sounds great

20100630_IMG_6740.jpg

20100708_IMG_6873.jpg

20100701_IMG_6780.jpg

20100630_IMG_6771.jpg

:)

<tuffty/>

Yeah Id agree tiffty you do...

Ive just bought Andy Mac Adaptors front and Rear.

And 240W Peak 80W RMS Speakers for the car. (Hopefully the soudn quality is much better as I cant stand the tinnyness much more.)

Also gonna be fitting the stealth soon.