Boring out the 1.8t

Lee172

GT3071
Reaction score
Im on the look out for another block to build up and was wondering what options i have / would be best to go for. I already have IE rods in my current block so ideally i would like to use them again. Would that only leave me with one option? Boring to a 1.9? Or could i use them in any other conversions?

Also getting the crank lightened/knifedged, worth doing?

I know these 1.8ts suffer from oil problems, id there anything that could be changed to help this?

TBH lightening/knife edging the crank isn't really worth it

The 1.8T IE rods can be used i all conversions from 1.8,1.9,2.0, and 2.1

The problem with the oil problems is the blockage of the pick up pipe and thats due to poor service and sealant from the sump

So to bore out to a 1.9 you could use uprated rods from ina etc but just but larger pistons? Would the pistons need to be 82.5 or 83 to achieve 1.9?

If going more than 1.9 would you have to change the crank? Does anyone know the actual benefits of doing this in terms of figures? Then i could weigh up if it will be worth doing to mine or not?

is a stroker conversion where you just change the crank so you get more up and down travel of the pistons?

So to bore out to a 1.9 you could use uprated rods from ina etc but just but larger pistons? Would the pistons need to be 82.5 or 83 to achieve 1.9?

All you have to do is change the pistons

is a stroker conversion where you just change the crank so you get more up and down travel of the pistons?

Yes

All info here about enlarged engine capacity http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/75685-lots-big-turbo-high-power-info.html

If going more than 1.9 would you have to change the crank? Does anyone know the actual benefits of doing this in terms of figures? Then i could weigh up if it will be worth doing to mine or not?
****** Fu**in hell Lee
What do up you think pat has done
2.0 stroker conversion !!!

Has anyone looked into the vw beetle 2.0 block, apparently its a straight swap?

82.5mm is a safe size to rebore too and still use a std head gasket... 83mm is the max and will give a proper 1.9ltr but needs a different head gasket (from an NA engine) and the 83mm bore has been known to turn bores oval under boost and even blow through so as long as you are reasonable with everythign you should be ok..

2ltr beetle block? as in an NA one? its not the block that makes the 2ltr on TFSI etc its the crank... TFSI crank, your IE rods (144mm) and special pistons are require for a stroker...

<tuffty/>

Yea i was told this a few years ago. Apparently you can use a n/a block from a newer shape 2.0 beetle. It has to be the 8v one rather than the 16v, dont know why. I have had a look into it before and spoke to a few people that have heard of it but i havent found one thats been done. Maybe a cheap alternative to a stroker kit.

Lee do something really random
Get a straight 5 bolt your gt30 to it
But before you do, I need to use your balaclava 1st