Emissions Failure

fast_eddie_s3

Reaction score
Hi,

Car failed it's emissions test woefully today. Vagcom highlighted a failed egt sensor but I thought I'd wing it. Fuel economy has been a bit shabby recently too.

Thing is, the mot tester seems convinced it's got to be the cat. I'm going to change the sensor first anyway (£192 from stealers!!!) but what do others think based on their own experience? (amk at 97k miles)

Cheers,
Rob

The cat isn't hot enough, take the car for a good hard drive so it red hot then go to the M.O.T station, it should go straight through! :)

Mine did this every year, took it for a good drive, high rpm and as soon as i got back to the station did the test again it went through 1st time

if the EGT probe is faulty then the engine runs rich all the time.. this will be your fuel economy issue and no doubt the emissions failure too... change the probe (fecking expensive ain't they!) and that should hopefully get you back on track... hopefully you haven't done any damage to the CAT (really rich AFR will not help)

<tuffty/>

The cat isn't hot enough, take the car for a good hard drive so it red hot then go to the M.O.T station, it should go straight through! :)

Mine did this every year, took it for a good drive, high rpm and as soon as i got back to the station did the test again it went through 1st time

But don't do that until your EGT probe is replaced else you may end up doing more harm than good... bore wash is top of the list...

<tuffty/>

Ok so it seems the problem was not where I thought it was! Thought I'd tackle some of my ropey looking breather pipes while I wait on the EGT sensor arriving. Remove the cover around the dipstick and find the sensor attached to the inlet manifold completely disconnected! (What is this sensor?)

Anyways, attached the blighter back on again and hey presto my egt sensor warning has gone. Took it for a run, fuel economy is back to normal and it's back pulling again. No sign of code popping back up. Audi even agreed to cancel the sensor order and refund the cash, so that's vagcom paid for itself for a second time. We'll see if that sorts the emissions out now.

Now to bend the ear of the blighter who changed the alternator and left that sensor disconnected!

Ok so it seems the problem was not where I thought it was! Thought I'd tackle some of my ropey looking breather pipes while I wait on the EGT sensor arriving. Remove the cover around the dipstick and find the sensor attached to the inlet manifold completely disconnected! (What is this sensor?)

Anyways, attached the blighter back on again and hey presto my egt sensor warning has gone. Took it for a run, fuel economy is back to normal and it's back pulling again. No sign of code popping back up. Audi even agreed to cancel the sensor order and refund the cash, so that's vagcom paid for itself for a second time. We'll see if that sorts the emissions out now.

Now to bend the ear of the blighter who changed the alternator and left that sensor disconnected!

That sensor is 'the actual' EGT sensor... the probe is in the turbo and the little black box is the electronincs... if this is disconnected then thats why you have had an EGT probe fault code...

<tuffty/>

Great outcome! lol wish it was all that simple eh...?

Thanks for all the help & comments. Cleaned the injectors too while I was at it. Car is back to it's best again :thumbsup: