Loud Turbo

SamA3

Reaction score
Hi All,

I got my 2005 A3 about a month ago and after reading many threads on this site I am now a bit scared my turbo may be on the way out as when I accelerate it makes a loud whistle sort of like a police siren and it does it in every gear. Also if you listen very closely you can hear the "dump release valve"/"back pressure valve" when changing gear. I would say these things are normal only my Dad has an A4 same 2.0 Tdi and you can't hear any of this. I recently had a REVO Stage One remap, although there was no increase in noise they did plug in the VCDS and there were no faults.

Should I be worried or am I just being to pedantic?

Thanks

Sounds to me like its fine and dont be afraid of the whistle in brace the sound . Cant beat the sound of a turbo winding up! Revo map Prob did increase the noise abit as its running more pressure now, hence why you cant hear your dads as it running standard pressure or has he had a remap?

Got the same noise on my tdi, turbo on it's way out from what I've researched, it's going into Audi on the 16th so I'll report back what they say, prob a new turbo :(

Same noise on mine! Been told turbo is on its way out.

iv had the noise on a few tdi's
sometimes its the flex sometimes the turbo on its way

yeh it has probs increased with the remap although it was still pretty loud when it wasnt mapped, but im going to run it in stock at the weekend and see what happens im also going to check all the seals as i have also read that it could be a loose seal or like jubilee clip or something

HI mate, just had mine removed, inspected, and as a matter of course as it was off the car. I had it cleaned, new shaft and new bearings! It had a tiny bit of end float nothing serious prior the rebuild. So had it fitted, and the siren and hiss/whistling noise still present. The noise was really bad in the car, gave me a headache tbh. So I'm now going to have the boost system pressure tested. All the O ring seals replaced and check the internal condition of the hoses. The rebuild cost £250 + fitting. The seals, all 8 are £38 from the stealers or £25 Inc vat from TPS. Hopefully you sort this with the cheaper route. I've also read that certain oil brands create the siren noise.

let us know the outcome markie.

HI mate, just had mine removed, inspected, and as a matter of course as it was off the car. I had it cleaned, new shaft and new bearings! It had a tiny bit of end float nothing serious prior the rebuild. So had it fitted, and the siren and hiss/whistling noise still present. The noise was really bad in the car, gave me a headache tbh. So I'm now going to have the boost system pressure tested. All the O ring seals replaced and check the internal condition of the hoses. The rebuild cost £250 + fitting. The seals, all 8 are £38 from the stealers or £25 Inc vat from TPS. Hopefully you sort this with the cheaper route. I've also read that certain oil brands create the siren noise.

Funny you should mention the oil factor, my turbo didn't make the siren noise until a couple of weeks after a dealer service (where they used quantum synta) VW spares website says not to use this oil in PD engines

Trying to link the turbo noise to this mistake will be a challenge I should imagine

Will do, and I'm hoping to fit the o-ring seals this weekend, and the weekend after oil flush, new oil and filter! Mines covered 94k miles so I'm on fixed rather than long life servicing now, I used a brand of oil which after using, I read some reports on another vw forum! It begins with M and ends in s. Although oil is meant to be oil, and the difference between brands is in the quality of it's additives, anti sludge, cleaning agents. If it was mineral oil I've used I'd agree, but synthetic is man made! If you check the brands web site, they warranty mechanical wear due to their oil creating problems! So perhaps the BKD turbos aren't chocolate as some call them, perhaps they're just sensitive to certain oils!

Will do, and I'm hoping to fit the o-ring seals this weekend, and the weekend after oil flush, new oil and filter! Mines covered 94k miles so I'm on fixed rather than long life servicing now, I used a brand of oil which after using, I read some reports on another vw forum! It begins with M and ends in s. Although oil is meant to be oil, and the difference between brands is in the quality of it's additives, anti sludge, cleaning agents. If it was mineral oil I've used I'd agree, but synthetic is man made! If you check the brands web site, they warranty mechanical wear due to their oil creating problems! So perhaps the BKD turbos aren't chocolate as some call them, perhaps they're just sensitive to certain oils!

Thanks man, lemme know the outcome after the weekend :)

mine only whistles on idle,or as im just pulling off.......after that it dissappears,when i took up to audi for a health check they advised me ''slight whine'' on turbo............been like that 3 years that i know of and has full dealer history.

mine only whistles on idle,or as im just pulling off.......after that it dissappears,when i took up to audi for a health check they advised me ''slight whine'' on turbo............been like that 3 years that i know of and has full dealer history.
This is exactly as mine was, and sometimes it's intermittently like this, others worse! A mate held the hoses as I revved the engine, 2 of the hoses when held stopped the noise! And since having the turbo rebuilt it's the same! Is your car remapped?

Same as mine, has been remapped and dpf deleted though! It's in with Audi at the moment for another issue and they've said it's nothing to worry about......at the minute.

Yeh mine is only at low speeds, also seems to be more noticeable when the engine is cold.

Food for thought: Linked to oil cause at low speeds and low temp its slow moving and low pressure. High speeds and warm temp nice and runny also higher pressure