Brake Cooling

Hadders

Reaction score
Morning everyone,

I am running Brembo monoblock calipers (from a Clio 197 of all things) with custom Goodridge hoses, Ferodo DS2500 pads and EBC Ultimax vented discs so it is capable of producing serious heat. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with additional brake cooling on an S3. I've done a few track days and I've always come unstuck with the brakes overheating (even with Motul fluid, hence now running Castrol SRF) so I figured it might be a good idea to investigate getting some proper brake cooling sorted. Any ideas on the best solution? I was thinking of getting some sort of ducting sorted but I don't really know where to route it or what would be involved (cutting holes etc).

Even a temporary solution for a track day would suffice (looking at going in February).

Ideas on a (virtual?) postcard...

Cheers :)

get some proper ducting and cable tie appropriately, have the duct sitting in clear air under the car - possibly slightly inboard of the tyres incase you get kerb happy - obviously only for trackday use. i would just try cable tieing to the bottom arm and undertray, quick and dirty but would get plenty of air in

Don't really want to replace the fog lights and I have to allow that air to get to the Intercoolers anyway. Running from underneath the car might work though.

So I could get away with just running some ducting for the track day then I guess. What part of the braking system should the duct point to, the caliper or the disc?

the disc is the part that generates most heat. its also the part that draws are through. im assuming theres not much room to duct onto the caliper (coming in from the front pointing into the pads and disc) so just onto the disc should work. if possible try to angle the air flow going into vents, not just one face - then it will help cool the whole system

Cool beans, I'll have a look next week when I have a chance to look at the car more closely. I'll see what I can work out then. Thanks for the help :)

i've been looking at brake coolers aswell.

the route i was going to take was buy new brake dust shields cut a hole in each, weld a bit on the back so i could connect a pipe then run a pipe front behind the front grille or use the fog light holes

like this idea
brakeduct3.jpg

Isnt the shape of the alloy essetialy a big fan? And in that respect could you just cable tie some small ducting around the top of the caliper to the bottom of the disc? If that makes sense?so the top is faceing the back of the rim and the bottom the disc, in essance turbo charching air in? Ha just an idea i had lol