Tires & Spare Question

ste0803

Reaction score
Hi all,

im looking at the specs of a NEW A3, ive noticed it lists Tyre Mobility System (TMS) which i understand to be a sealant & compressor to re-inflate the tyre if you get a puncture.

my question to you all is do the new A3's come with RFT tyres or standard? and do you only get the TMS if buying new with no option for a spare?

any input would be helpful.

Many Thanks

Ste0803

Hi Steve,

As far as I know, all A3's come with the TMS and none come with either a spare wheel or run-flat tyres.......all in the name of saving weight presumably !!

I am looking into the possibility of removing the TMS and putting in a space-saver spare ( I have already done this on my TTS Roadster ) as older A3's come with a space-saver and the screw thread and fitting to hold a spare seem to be in place.

I just want the peace of mind of knowing that I can just change the wheel rather than messing about fixing puntures and trying to re-inflate everything by the side of a busy road !

Am confused. I have a spare wheel in my '09 Cab. !!

What's the size of the spacesaver wheel and tyre please from one of you guys that has them ?

May find and fit one myself !

Just tried to have a look but its to dark, I prefer the cans that's what I've had in my last two cars

Has anyone actually used the TMS sucessfully ?

Just looks like a weight saving measure to me and in the real world isn't as practical as just switching the wheel when it's punctured, but happy to be proved wrong if anyone has experience of using it.

My 11 plate came with a spare wheel - does quattro make a difference though? I can't see how? I would have thought a repaired full size wheel would be better for the system than the piddly space saver.

I think quattro means the boot floor sits slightly higher, but there is space and even a cutout and bolt for fitting a spacesaver, it just didn't come with one and it wasn't listed as an option.

What's the size of the spacesaver wheel and tyre please from one of you guys that has them ?

May find and fit one myself !

My A3 (60 plate) has a 125/70x16 space saver - normal summer wheels are 225/45x17 and winter 205/55x16. Kind of expected a slightly wider and taller space saver - my old car with the same size 225/45x17 wheels had a 135/80x16 spare which gives nearly the same rolling distance.