Advice on what A3 to get?

alw81

Reaction score
I am have pretty much decided on getting a new A3 for my company car and am deciding on what spec to get. I probably won't get a chance to test drive any (maybe 1) before having to choose in a few days. All insurance, servicing/repairs is paid for so not a consideration. I will have to have the car for 4 years and won't be allowed to add anything aftermarket but can choose any extras (within budget) at the start.

In my budget it is between these:
3DR 2.0TDI 170 Sport with the odd extra (£1K worth of extras)
3DR 2.0TDI 140 Sport with a few extras (£1-3K worth)
3DR 2.0TDI 140 S line with odd extra (£1K worth)

I'm swaying towards the S line purely on looks especially as I can't add anything to the car afterwards but am worried about the ride, there loads of bad stuff on the internet (could be bs) about the suspension and I will be driving it all day for work (pretty much all motorways and london main roads though).

What additional stuff would you definitely get put in seeing as I only have one chance to get it in at the start?

Nice one for any advice!

I'd go for th 140 S-line, just for the looks and seats more than anything.

nice one for the quick responses!

you reckon the leather upgrade is worth it? I was thinking leather but its pretty much the most expensive extra they have. the cloth/leather standard must be pretty comfy & nice (looks it in pics)

I have the half leather half cloth. Best of both not sticky in the summer and not cold in the winter!

140 Sline gets my vote!!!

140 s-line with xenons. s-line ride is nothing to worry about fella. I was expecting it to be terrible with the way people go on but was quite suprised when i picked my old s-line up in 2009 wasnt as bad as most people make it out to be.
Good luck

Agree black edition gives all you could ever want :)

as for the ride i think my sline despite it being lower with bigger wheels a nicer ride than my sport

Reflect on the fact that you may be taxed on the List price of the car as well as whatever emisssion catergory it falls into.
Also you will be spending more time driving than admiring so the pose value and ignore the trinkets, shiny bits and fancy paint jobs ( you will curse black )concentrate on comforts and convenience.
I spent 20 years doing 30/50k miles per annum and would NEVER be without cruise control or auto box. Ignore the namby pamby views or those who have not had that experience of cruise for it is a HUGE contributor to relaxing driving, ie no cramp or stiffness in your right foot from hours on the motorways and stress-free when it comes to speed limits for you just set the limit on the cruise control and relax.
My auto/cruise S-Line cab. petrol (thankfully) is almost perfect, but does have too firm a ride but I suspect the lovely comfortable seats help to offset that. I also use a thin pad of memory foam which helps and plan to swop to 16inch alloys and deeper profile tyres - again comfort more important than image or pose value.
Good luck.

140 sline!! Much nicer look and better ride imo.

However, if you prefer a softer ride, the 140 sport could be the way to go. Plus by the looks of your options you could get 3K worth of extra's if you went the sport way. Bi-xenon adaptive lights, cruise control a must! Not overly taken with the Auto lights and screen wipers tbh.

Depends if the 'look' is important. At the end of the day, you'll still be driving the Audi pedigree!

To be honest, you shouldn't get one of these unless you can try and get a test drive first.

If you're able to, see if you can get the blck edition............yum yum!!

Just got my 140 S-Line 3 weeks ago. Comfort Package is a must have, especially if like me, you do loads of motorway driving.

I went full leather (kids & dog can be messy) and front heated seats for the winter months to keep the backside warm and toasty! :yes:

The handling of the S-Line is superb, it grips and holds the road well in the twisty stuff. Some might say its a little hard for long motorway journeys, however, I have not yet left my S-Line feeling fatigued or with back pain like I used to with my Citroen C4. (To this day I still wonder what I was thinking when I ordered that for a company car)!

Just get one fella, you won't be sorry!

G.

if its a company car that you cannot mod, then get a car with everything you NEED on it! i would also say the 140 S-Line with comfort pack! that is if the black edition is not available...

Thanks again for all the responses. Think i am almost certain to go for the S Line with comfort pack, can't wait to get my hands on her!!

I do have the option of the 140 Black Edition, the S line wont cost me anything, the Black edition would cost me an extra 30 quid a month for 4 years which is pretty much £1500, is it worth it you reckon for a company car?

I think I prefer the chrome look although the black does look awesome too.

the black edition is not only the black styling pack. what colour where you thinking of ordering? it also comes with a crap load of extras as part of the pack.

• Black styling package
  • Privacy glass
  • 18” rotor design titanium finish alloys
  • Piano black inlays
  • Flat-bottomed multi-function steering wheel
  • BOSE® sound system
  • Xenon Plus headlights with LED daytime running lights
  • Bluetooth interface
Audi A3 - A3 black edition - Audi.co.uk

of course confirm that those extras are coming if and when you go to place your order.

Thanks again for all the responses. Think i am almost certain to go for the S Line with comfort pack, can't wait to get my hands on her!!

I do have the option of the 140 Black Edition, the S line wont cost me anything, the Black edition would cost me an extra 30 quid a month for 4 years which is pretty much £1500, is it worth it you reckon for a company car?

I think I prefer the chrome look although the black does look awesome too.

woop crome baby