To De-cat only???

Hammy999

Reaction score
Are there any advantages of just doing a de-cat without the 3 inch DP? Was thinking of a staged approach as have been told if going for the 3" DP then should really have a hybrid turbo as otherwise puts to much stress on the standard one? I don't have to worry about the MOT disadvantages of getting rid of the cat due to where am based.

I previously had a custom made cat - back exhaust on my a3 1.8t, the mid box and back box were built to a smaller size compared to the original boxes and size of the pipe stayed the same. I decided a month or two after to get a decat put on the car; it sounds and feels more powerful and pops occasionally but to be honest I don't think it's worth getting it done unless you're running serious power. It resonates the whole car and vibrates everything a lot more, I've definitely sprung a few extra vibrating noises from underneath the car due to getting the decat. I think the better option would be to remove the mid box and keep the cat.

what you've been told is frankly rubbish, and doesnt make sense.
the downpipe is the most restrictive part, as you've prob seen it splits into 2. getting a 3 inch lowers egt's and will give you quicker spool, more response and will have you on your way to stage 2 level.

a decat alone wont give you much, bit more noise.

i got a 3"DP/de-cat.

not really any gains.
no increase in noise (i got the standard exhaust from de-cat back)
dunno what Rich is on about but you won't get any vibrations unless its been fitted wrong

A quicker spool surely must put more stress on the turbo and therefore run the risk it could fail prematurely. Am guessing they are not indestructible and have a limit as to how much you can increase the spool speed without it failing?? As long as the 3" DP and decat are not likely to cause that, I will most likely do the 2 together.

A quicker spool surely must put more stress on the turbo and therefore run the risk it could fail prematurely. Am guessing they are not indestructible and have a limit as to how much you can increase the spool speed without it failing?? As long as the 3" DP and decat are not likely to cause that, I will most likely do the 2 together.
quicker spool because its alot free-er flowing. it still produces the same boost, but will see less heat, its not doin any more work, if anything its doing less, hence the reduction in heat and increase in response.
its a necesety (cant spell) when going for stage 2 or above due to heat. heat kills power.

Looks like a 3" DP and decat pipe are next on the shopping list after all the bits waiting to go on are done next week.