Fried computer help

lil_coz

Reaction score
Hey guys, got a mate out here and there was a storm last night and a freak lightning bolt hit his studio and fried everything that's electrical. He's told that there is no way he can recover things from his computer and it's all gone. Is this true? I would have thought that the hard drive would still be OK to recover his stuff? Anyone else experience anything like this?

Pull the hard drive out and plug it in to another PC, is it a desktop or a laptop?

Stick it in an hard drive dock like icybox or similar then plug it into somebodies desktop or laptop

Soon know if it works

Pull the hard drive out and plug it in to another PC, is it a desktop or a laptop?

It's a desktop

Stick it in an hard drive dock like icybox or similar then plug it into somebodies desktop or laptop

Soon know if it works

That's what I told him! But he said that 2 'technical' people told him that there's no point in even trying anything because it'll all be gone...

That's what I told him! But he said that 2 'technical' people told him that there's no point in even trying anything because it'll all be gone...

Absolute rubbish mate. Chances are the PC will be toast, even the OS as well, but the data is probably still on the drive and recoverable. If you are near to Northants drop it in. I run an IT company and would be happy to help out a fellow member.

Can't see how the entire hard drive will be wiped??? Fascinated to see the outcome of this, but I think hard drive data should be recoverable.

hard drive will be sound the info will be recoverable, plus the pc may have only blown the PSU if it wasn't turned on at the time, even if it was it still might be worth trying a new PSU to see if the pc boots up.

Absolute rubbish mate. Chances are the PC will be toast, even the OS as well, but the data is probably still on the drive and recoverable. If you are near to Northants drop it in. I run an IT company and would be happy to help out a fellow member.

Thanks a lot mate. Really do appreciate that, but this has happened in Portugal. I'm due back in the UK tail end of the week, and if he hasn't got anywhere with it, I'll take the hard drive out and bring it with me. Thanks again mate.

I told him to insist to have it checked, and to ask someone else if he gets nowhere with his guys. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the help guys. Just confirmed what I thought to be true in the first place!

Lol You don't ask, you don't get. I like it!

But no :beerchug: lol

Before you go buying anything do this first:

first of all check the plug itself to see if the fuse has blown or you can swap the kettle lead with the one from your monitor and see if it powers up.

secondly if it doesnt swap out the power supply then try again. If not then think about getting a hard drive dock

also ull know if its blown as even after a few days itll still smell like burning solder or popped capacitors

loads of ******** and this is coming from an infrastructure engineer

there is obviously a small chance, but i doubt it, first thing to go would be the psu, then possibly the motherboard, if you are located near south kensington, london, let me know