How Wide can you go???

richy

Reaction score
Website
www.vagowners.com
wheel question..

on the rear wheels how wide is it possible to go without scraping... and also if the car would be lowered?

on the quottro models...

new wheels are going to be deep dish and so would like it deeper at the back if possible...

I think for handling purposes on a 4wd car all tyres should be the same width?
Correct me if wrong but 235 possibly max ?

Cheer s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Having read info on new 'Sport TT' they have made rear tyres/wheels at rear slightly wider for better handling/traction purposes (Audi website), and this is 4wd.

its wheel diameter all round which is crucial!

I remember seeing a SWB LandRover a few years back, with the 'Big' Landy wheels on the back, and small ones on the front, giving it a really strange angled stance..

All fine till the first time he put it in 4WD.. I just wish Id been there to see it!

[ QUOTE ]
Having read info on new 'Sport TT' they have made rear tyres/wheels at rear slightly wider for better handling/traction purposes (Audi website), and this is 4wd.

[/ QUOTE ]

erm, it's not quite 4wd on TT and A3/S3, it's the haldex system, so would work differently to the Torsion stuff on the A4/A6/A8

There tons of stuff on the web but basically between the front and rear drive or the car is a clutch. It's a strong multiple plate clutch that is activated by oil pressure. When the computer detects slip between front and rear, it pumps oil into the clutch forcing the plates together. This means that power then gets transferred to the rear in addition to the front. Haldex cars are often FWD only giving better mpg. Torsen on the other hand is a mechanical system and is always in AWD. I prefer Torsen after having Haldex on the TT and Tosen on the S4. It seems much more solid and you never have the feeling of the power being moved front and rear like I got on the TT when on the limit.

yeah saying you can do it with either.. just meaning that spinning both from and back at the same time is awesome fun..

quick question.. with ur S4 been at stage 3 whats the performance like?

what 0-60 would u say u can achive.. and what 1/4 are u doing? etc etc

0-60 - No idea.
1/4 mile - I only got a 14.0 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

It was first visit and I kept spinning the wheels (it was cold and high humidity) plus I think my car had a problem with the readiness settings at the time. I hope to go back later this year.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Someone briefly explain the haldex system for me please!

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply put, a torsen system is always in 4WD mode. The Haldex is Front Wheel Drive until the rear wheels need to cut in. Torsen applies power to different wheels individually based on how much it is slipping, Haldex can only drive front wheels or rear wheels together but not each wheel individually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither can Torsen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Torsen still only drives axles it doesnt drive individual wheels.

EDL is there to limit power to each wheel but this is done via braking and engine power.

Haldex is a new version of the old VW Syncro which used a Viscous based drive system, like a cooling fan etc, when a liquid gets hot it expands causing the drive to be engaged.

Haldex is fitted to all Golf based platform cars, ie Golf/A3/TT/Octavia/Bora

Torsen is fitted to all other Audi's, and the Passat. Tests have shown Haldex to be better when tracking a car, but I don't belive it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Torsen is always on 4wd it shafts your fuel consumption but should you need the 4wd its always there.

Its also more expensive, and heavier than Haldex. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Any new Passats that get 4WD will be Haldex as the new Passat is based on the A3 platform and not the A4 platform as before. It therefore gets transverse engines and Haldex instead of longitudinal and Torsen. I much prefer my current Torsen to my previous Haldex whether on road or track. My fuel consumption's shafted anyway! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif