2.0TDI - Anyone had a remap ?

• Thread starter imported_Spin140
  • Start date
Interesting to here they replace the security bolts. I wonder how many other tuners do this... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The dealers still cannot bypass the security inside the ecu, so they have to remove it from the car to get inside it,

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely..ask Supechips! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but as the majority of dealer tech's couldn't tell the difference between mine & stock

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know, and if they couldn't then surely it wasn't a noticeable power hike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, exactly what I was thinking.
If you can't tell the difference between stock and chipped then it isn't very good. On the cars I have had chipped it was obvious, and when I had a problem with a rattle on our ML the tech who was test driving it noticed it was not stock by the second junction.

Well I contacted RSD today as I had read somewhere they didn't need to open the ECU up to actually add the Oettinger software to it.

I recieved a reply from the tech that would actually carry out the work if I decide to go down the Oettinger Route and he confirmed the ECU would have to be removed from the car and that it woud NOT be opened. They remove the ECU and download the software throught a socket on the front of the ECU.

I have emailed Superchips asking the same question as another forum member (UK-MKIV's) has been asking about a group buy on thier product and he was told the same thing and before you reply Broadmarsh I know you have had your car chipped by them and watched the procedure but I am assuming it was some months ago and perhaps it has changed? As soon as I hear anything I will let you know.

So we are still none the wiser but hey it's kept me occupied...

J.

I have got the Ketchup ready for the hat! But..Perhaps I do not need it, as Oettinger are the approved tuner for Audi and COULD have the same hardware kit as an Audi dealer to change SOME settings inside the ECU that are sent to them on CD ROM. Some time ago I had a lumpy idle and it was fixed by the dealer having the CD ROM and the obviously installed factory hardware to upload it. I can only presume that all Audi dealers have the tool (Hardware and software) to effect such changes. If you get my drift...ketchup ready!

Perhaps there is another scenario. Oettinger are keeping what they do close to their chests, as I was led to believe some months ago that they did exactly the same as Superchimps.

Broadmarsh your probably right! They did say they would need the car for quite a long while (4 hours to do the work and another couple if poss to test it all)

Is it something to do with the CAN (or whatever it's called) Bus thats causing the port tuning?

See I told we are still no closer to finding out the truth, very X files...

J.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but as the majority of dealer tech's couldn't tell the difference between mine & stock

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know, and if they couldn't then surely it wasn't a noticeable power hike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, exactly what I was thinking.
If you can't tell the difference between stock and chipped then it isn't very good. On the cars I have had chipped it was obvious, and when I had a problem with a rattle on our ML the tech who was test driving it noticed it was not stock by the second junction.

[/ QUOTE ]
The power hike was definetly noticeable when driven by another 150PD owner, in fact it totally blew his car away but unless the VW techs drive 150PD's all day long they are unlikely to notice, in my experience when your car is in for a servive at most they may take it around the block so are unlikely to 'open her up'. If the remap is a good progressive one then surely this should be the case, no apparent difference from stock unless you are familiar with the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Guys just been reading through all this again and there seems to be some conflicting info regarding RSD and the Oettinger chip, please see the e-mail I recieved from Danny @ RSD pasted below which states the ECU is opened & reprogrammed, this was recieved last week..

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your email, as for bothering me! No worries! Lets just say
you're lucky to catch me sat down at the computer!!

I would also ask as many questions as possible, why spend 20K on a car and
get it modified badly!!!
The ECU is removed, opened up and reprogrammed. It is not a replacement. The
Oettinger conversion is in my eyes, a very driveable conversion which puts a
smile on your face every time you drive. I will hasten to add, over tuning
can cause the clutch and flywheel to go breakfast up. You only have to look
at the forum on this issue!

Sorry to be short and sweet, but however if you do have further questions
then please fire away!

Many thanks,
Kind regards.

Danny

Danny Whitrow
Road and Sport Developments
Tel: + 44 (0) 1327 706444
Fax: + 44 (0) 1327 706445
www.rsdcars-uk.co.uk

Unit 15 Baird Close
Drayton Fields Industrial Estate
Daventry
Northamptonshire
NN11 5RY

[ QUOTE ]

Thats strange I asked yesterday and was told that they didn't open up the ECU!!!!

Although it wasn't Danny that replied to me!

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course as we all know, a verbal answer is not quite the same as a written one where he has to put his money where his mouth is.

I have not got enough hats to go round sorry! lol...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

No I recieved a reply to an email yesterday but it was from one of the Technicians who works for Danny!!!

Just a point to note Super Chips haven't replied...

J.

Hi Cheecy, I was quoted @ £40 by James the chap known as reflex on the other forum who is the one with the close links to S/chips, I have since discovered the 2nd years warranty is automatically offered by their warranty provider just before expiry of the standard 12 months but can not be bought in advance, I have checked my own previous paperwork and the cost was £68 for a further 12 months/30,000 miles.

It may be worth you contacting S/chips HQ and see if they can offer you some form of incentive due to your location, perhaps a discount via your local S/C dealer, you can but ask.

Yup cheers Spin. I've now logged the fact that I'm going the SChips route on the Oettinger GB thread and have asked that very question.

I may log it in the Schips thread as well to make sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cheers for the info.

Has anyone got a copy of the Superchips Sportback 2.0T roadtest in last months (Feb) Audi driver mag. I went to every newsagent in my area inc all the big WHSmiths but no one stocks it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hi Cupramax

Yes I've got a copy of the test in the Audi Driver magazine. Sent me a PM with your email address. I will scan a copy and forward it on to you.

David, you have PM... thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Just to add a little interest to this thread, please see the pasted comments from a guy off Mkivs-forum who has had his 2.0tdi superchipped today....he lives in Ireland...

Ok first things first, back in August I had her on the rollers. Totally standard she put out 152.9 at the flywheel so let's call it 153.

Today, totally different RR, totally different company, before the remap she put out 155/116KW.

Afterwards she put out 194bhp at the flywheel/145KW.

They don't have a torque graph on their system so I'm afraid it won't be until I go back to the first RR (153bhp) that I can get a torque print out and compare before and after on two seperate occasions.

194bhp does seem like a lot, however it is an increase of 39 bhp which isn't too far over what Superchips claim and I have two different stock RR figures to compare with with only a margin of error of 2bhp.

Now for the important bit. She pulls like a train. I got the chance to overtake someone and had a clear stretch after me and I held it to the floor for what must have only been 5 seconds and I was doing 80mph - when I went to overtake I was doing about 27mph.

I managed to get the computer down to 19mpg and didn't see 30 once.

It was E675 all in and although pricey it does seem very worth it. I managed to get the ESP light to flick in FOURTH going up a very slippy, greasy, wet mountain hill!!!

I really did cane her around some B roads in the Dublin mountains and I could feel some heat soak coming through the air vents in the car cause I had climate fully off (is this normal!?) and the smell off my brakes was sickening.

Funny flooring it in 2nd and getting the tyres to squeal and then people look at you like a little boy racer.
Cars disappear in your mirror all too fast if you ask me!

Cant wait until monday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

Mark sent me an message earlier regarding his car....

He is definately impressed with ti. I do have one question though am I the only one that thinks the brakes aren;t all that in the A3? Or is it because the brakes on my R32 where brilliant...

J.

Married - I havent driven on the best brakes in my past, but comparing braking relative to acceleration and general speed, my old 1.6 MKIV golf probably fared better.

I'm not talking absolute stopping power, just stopping in relation to going. when my wallet allows it, I'll be ringing AMD for the V6 brake kit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

No the brakes aren't the best but find that with DSG it is so easy to blip down the gears as you brake. The engine braking on the tdi helps loads.

spin140,

Sounds impressive stuff from irish. Does anybody know the deal regarding warranty on DSG equipped cars though, and whether they limit torque, and if so what to ?.

Next time I'm in Aberdeen I'll have to fight me way past all the chavy corsa's at the Superchips dealer and ask the question.

Japper - interestingly enough the superchips guy I talked to yesterday in Glenrothes stated that 5 out of 6 of the cars he now does are Diesels and are relatively new. He even went as far as stating that he actually tries to play down the baseball hat crowd so that he doesn't get the bad publicity that may accompany it.
I actually agree with his stance due to the recent high profile of irresponsible young drivers in Fife (notably the 4 teenagers who died near Cupar recently).

Your typical Corsa Chav goes as far as a bodykit, new lights and empty can of Heinz beans (exhaust).....

Just a thought!

Hopefully the majority of the chav population haven't the sense to realise the potential they can unleash via a remap, in their opinion money is much better spent on those tasteful body modifications, Mmmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well I popped in this morning, Wallace performance. The main guy was off, but the guy I spoke to didn't have much of a clue. He did state that the warranty only covered the chip and not a warranty to cover engine / gearbox etc.

This place ranges from Chavy corsa's to Evo's and scooby's. Dont think they're clued up on anything outside of this market.

Does anyone recommend Jabba here? As I see no mention of them anywhere on this thread, and I thought they were one of the top VAG tuning companies.

You can check out the warranty details on the S/chips web site, as a loose quote all parts not covered by your manufacturers warranty due to the remap are covered with the exception of the obvious, things like the clutch. In my opinion S/Chips are an excellent company with a good product range, where they are sometimes let down is by some of their 'licensed outlets' who as stated don't know their bum from their elbow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also called my local chipper and he said that it can't be done anyway other than straigth to the board. Nevertheless, no soldering is needed because they use a standard jig for that.

He also mentioned that one firm is hacking the code right now, and for the first A3 8P which have some how different ecu(not so good security) will be hacked open soon and be on the market within half a year. For the new one, it's going to take 2 years or so.

Can you only get it done in Bristol?

Or do they have other re sellers?

Rest of England probably within the next 6-8 weeks, Scotland 8-12 weeks (grr!)

Who cares about those ****** Scots anyway! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just kidding mate!!

So what are you going to do now mate? I was tempted with the group buys on the MKV forums, but think it may be worth waiting a couple of months and see if there is a one click type solution released.

argh! I dont know.

Pros and cons to both sides. May just take a trip up to superchips to have a chat......