Brake problem

Roo2000

Reaction score
As the title suggests I've a brake problem on my 2000 1.8T AGU A3.

Well it's really two problems that I think may be related.
I've had a look at some brake problem threads and can't seem to find the answer so I'm hoping somebody can help.

1st problem

When I brake from high speed or low speed I get a judder which slows as the car slows.
This has happened ever since I've owned the car (around 6 years).
I know everybody reading this is thinking as I first did, WARPED DISKS! but over the years she's had new disks and pads all round which I might have possibly done front disks twice and nothing has changed.
She's also had numerous tyre changes ruling out wheel balancing, a new hub and bearing on the o/s front and there is no humming from the front n/s leaving me to think the n/s bearing is fine.

This judder really does shake the steering wheel but as far as I can remember not the brake pedal.

2nd problem

ABS
The ABS works as it should ie kicks in when I lose grip.
The problem is when I first pull off either forwards or reversing off the drive I hear the ABS grinding noise for a second or 2 and the car does seem to slow slightly as if the brakes are being applied.

I can't feel it through the brake pedal as I've one foot on the clutch and one on the go pedal when ever it does it, but it is definitely the same noise I get when the ABS kicks in normally.

I have replaced both front sensors after VAG COM showed them as faulty and the errors have not returned, nor is there any errors to do with any other part of the brakes.

I don't know if the 2 problems are related but I've a sneeky suspicion they are.

I've heard you can bleed the ABS on some cars.
Is this possible with my A3 and if it is could that be the problem?

Any help appreciated.

Get your brake fluid changed, as you may have air trapped in the brake lines. Also, you may have seized brake caliper(s) which can cause judder.

Try upper strut mounts. When I changed mine my 'brake judder' went away!

Yup, done struct mounts when I did shockers all round.
And have done a fluid change recently too.

This feels really does feel like warped disks but I've changed them?