dreaded oil pressure problems heeeeelp ....

Shawny-S3

Reaction score
Hi all just looking for some advice really .
my oil pressure light came on the other day it comes on when the car is warm and reved over 3k ive checked it with a pressure tester and it drops down to 1.5 bar so i cleaned my oil strainer which wasnt that dirty that didn't solve it so i fitted a new oil pump and that doesnt seem to have sorted it .... i guess the next thing is to check the pressure relief valve is this located on the oil filter housing ? also do any of you guys have any idea's ? also to add the bottom end feels solid so im guessing i would rule that out as theres no play ...... thank you for your help

The relief valve is in the pump itself.

Given you have a gauge, what is the pressure at cold idle, cold 3000rpm?

If your getting over 3 bar, then warm the engine up watching the gauge, if it drops below 1bar at any point shut it off.

If you can get it warmed up fully without the pressure dropping dangerously low, then get the pressure readings again with the car idling and the car at 3000rpm. You should expect to see between 1 and 1.5 bar at idle, and 4-5bar at 3000rpm.

Could it be oil pick up pipe? Just a suggestion to add to the mix. Good luck on solving the problem.

It drops below 1 bar on idle when warm and when its cold it goes right up to nearl 6 bar at 3 k revs I was under the impression there was a check relief valve in the oil filter housing to ? Is this correct obviously I'd rather try things like that befor I change the cylinder head has anybody got any other idea's what it could be its a new oil pump and the oil pick up is clear also to add I changed the cylinder head 6 months ago as my old one was cracked the one I fitted was second hand
thank you any advice welcome as iam stuck now