Recommendations for free on-line data storage with multi user access

jcs356

Brum brum
Reaction score
After some help. I'm part of a community group who manage a local nature area. We have got increasing amounts of data (photos, publicity material, spreadsheets etc) that is currently held across the 6 committee member's computers. That's a risk in terms of backup, and proving more of a pain as we keep having to pass the data round on USB sticks or via email.

We'd like to get all that data held somewhere central so that we can guarantee it's properly backed up, but also so that we can share access to it by logging in and then getting access to what we need. Portable drives would work for the former, but it wouldn't give us multi-access.

Does anyone know of/recommend a good storage site/company that we could use to store our data? Our key requirements are:
  • Must offer multi-user access for at least 6 people;
  • Store a mix of document types (word, excel, jpg, pdf);
  • Ideally be free or low cost as the group don't have loads of money;
  • Work ok for both PC and Mac users;
  • Give us something like 1Gb of space to play with.

Anyone got any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Have you looked at Google Documents? Pretty much fulfils your requirements exactly, and whilst it may not be as swish as a bespoke or paid for solution, it would work well I think.

Check out dropbox.
Gives you 2gb free to start with or you can sign up for more.
It works on every thing, even mobile phones.

If you go for it, let me know, I'll email you a recomendation link. I get extra space and I think you do as well.

Dropbox - Simplify your life

Right, I've signed up to Dropbox and having a play. Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Right, I've signed up to Dropbox and having a play. Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Nice one.
If you follow their instructions on the web site, they will give you extra space as well.

Woo-Hoo, I got my extra 250mb.
Any one else want a dropbox account?
PM me. :D