wtf is this ??? several failures at same time

dvdk

Reaction score
hi guys... today happened something very weird to me. I was at my parents garden and when i go home i scratched a chassis, but nothing huge, only little scratch. I stopped and saw a engine oil sensor cable was cut. My dashboard says same - oil sensor icon appeared. Ok, clear with that, several minutes of work and it will be fixed.

Nothing weird, BUT suddenly, i noticed when i engage a reverse gear no sound comes like before, no beep :( plus my reverse light don't work too. I didn't understand what reverse gear and oil sensor has in common, but after that i decided i will test all functions what my car should do. And... guess what... another faults appeared. My ESP button has no response, still in ON position and my air-condition unit still goes at ECON mode. Can turn off AC, can turn it on, can set AUTO MODE but can't turn off a ECON .... :think:

can anyone help me? any idea what could go wrong ???? i am absolutely confused and don't know where to start. Definitely i have to fix a oil sensor cable, it's not a problem, problem is all of these electronic faults.

(PS: if u want i can upload an image of wrong oil sensor cable but i think it is not important at this moment, or is it?) sry for my english

Is the cable cut likely to have caused a short which has blown multiple fuses?

Get it hooked up on VCDS as it's likely to be your best indication of the real issues.

I'm with Warren, shorting is probably the only explanation?

definitely agree with you Warren, at monday i am going to visit authorised service at our capital, but tomorrow i will try to disconnect a battery for hour, will check again all fuses and hope some "god power" will bring back to life all these failures :anbet:
(but dont believe in god so much, so he wont help me anyway i suppose :crying:)

God will not help...it was him who made you scratch the chassis in the first place.

I'd double check the cable thats been split to make sure it's not shorting on the chassis, obviously everything is ground to the chassis and then back to the negative on the battery, check that its not contacting and then disconnect your battery and also checked fuses.

I'd double check the cable thats been split to make sure it's not shorting on the chassis, obviously everything is ground to the chassis and then back to the negative on the battery, check that its not contacting and then disconnect your battery and also checked fuses.

and this is what i am afraid the most... electricity and everything between plus and minus is out of me... i am noob in that, so i definitely need someone who knows what is wrong. I dont even know what does mean "shorting on the chassis" or how to check it :think: so how to check it? check if the splitted cable isnt touching a chassis or what? sry but i am really not a electricity man.

You could always drive down to Venezia, where I will be & get me to have a look lol

Reactions: dvdk
If the cable has been split where you hit the underneath of the car, chances are it maybe making contact on the chassis which you need to check, if it is, it'll be sending positive and negative current onto the chassis which maybe causing your problems. do you know where this damaged cable is?

If you can I would try and tape up the open ends of the cable with insulation tape to stop any further damage. Then tape the 2 loose ends together so they aren't dragging mate.

this will be my next step tomorrow morning ... but have to look for some tape... but as i wrote before, this isnt a big failure for me, my worries are about other failures and i am not sure if they are caused by open ends of this cable, but maybe they are. Thanks for help guys for now, tomorrow will bring progress (hope) ;)

UPDATE: today morning i opened a fuse box and cheked a fuse #4. My car is from Germany and i have manual only in german language, i don't understand a lot, but i've found this fuse is responsible for : ESP, ASR, AC, Oil sensor, seats heating, pressure in tyres controll, and lot of other stuffs... (see yr manual if u are interesting). So, this fuse was broken ... i was wondering how many things are covered with one fuse.

there is a lot of oil in the back of that bottom photo above the subframe. More than I'd expect. Get that checked too.

Wonder if there is an online resource for car manuals in languages?

i've been at service maybe a month ago when i was changing all filters and liquids so i hope its fine. Hope the service-man checked it, but tomorrow i am going to repair that sensor cables with my friend so we'll check it. thanks

Last edited: