Got no boost!

Stink

Reaction score
Was coming onto the dual carriage way just now, in 4th doing 40, start to put my foot down and then all of a sudden its like the car has got no power and really struggles to get past 2.5 rpm ?

get off the carriage way and drive home on normal roads, windows down and can heat the turbo spooling but there just isn't any boost at all in any gear and it wont really get anywhere past 2k rpm, could this be a boost pipe leak / break/ poped off? :(

Hey buddy, it definitely sounds like you've got a boost pipe popped off or split. Is the engine shaking at idle? If so, I'd say boost leak for sure. Hope that's all it is as it's an easy fix. :( x

DV stuck? What revision valve are you running. Ive had piston stick even on the revision D.

Thanks for the replies noit sure what dv is fitted standard one I guess? Only had the car a week, where is the best place to check the pipes?

i was just about to post the same issue, maybe i can help with some pointers and hopefully not thread jack at the same time.
The most common boost leak on the 140 tdis is the o rings on the bottom of the intercooler, to access these jack up car or pop it on ramps, remove the noise insulation panel, at the front of the engine near the radiator you can see the intercooler, two hoses point back towards the engine, if these are covered in sludge and oil, the orings need replacing. i highly doubt a hose has come off, the reason i say this is because i replaced the orings, did a test run and the pipe blew off, the engine will want to stall in this scenario, could barely keep the engine running with the pipe off.
which brings me to my issue: the intercooler is of such a bad design, plastic mounts on the intercooler, after replacing the orings, the driver side is extremely tight to get in, passenger side loose, passenger side locked in but still has slight play, which still leaks boost. The driver side clip which locks in the pipe, is loose on the top and possible damage to top of plastic where clip locks in place. It was this side which blew off.
It seems that it is common knowledge that the FMIC set up on these cars is beyond appalling, with brand new cars leaking in these areas. What are the options, i fear my best option is replace intercooler with a forge or THS one which has proper pipe work which will not leak. How have other people sealed their systems? also this is a stock a3 no remaps or mods of any kind. i could replace the intercooler with a oem one but will probably get the same issue again, but a forge or ths one is £600.
Money is tight only just bought the car too. any help would be appreciated

well i think im going to give the garage i bought the car from a ring see what they can do as its under 6 months extended warranty

right just jacked the car up whacked the old axel stand under and had a nose around, honestly don't really know what i was looking for! as far as i could see and feel no pipes popped off and everything looked as it should? the pipe on the passenger side had a little bit of play nothing ott but I can only assume its enough to let pressure out and a few dirty pics, what you think replace O rings?

bp2.jpg

bp1.jpg

can i presume right side is first pic? but yes replace o rings that amount of shine says fresh oil, i bought the orings from here Volkswagen Parts - 3C0145117H 3c0145117h being the vag part no. my engine is the BKD. If you are unsure call up your dealer and get a quote from the spares dept and get the part no from them to confirm.

Cheers guys yeah mine is bkd as well :) and after having a aimless grope of the pipes its working fine again! :)

good to hear, though i fear it may be short lived, after a heavy load drive say on the motorway, it may work its way out again, might be worth getting a couple of the rings in just in case. Also if you do replace them, get the tubes clean before disconnecting to prevent any falling into the airlines, also dont have your head underneath the pipe when you disconnect it... i can still taste the oil :blush:

just wanted to let you know this happened to me and it was due to the turbo over boosting and me having to replace the turbo i hope it isnt the same because it cost my a bit to fix id say get a dynastics test on it and see what comes back. all the best tho

i have a vagcom and ran the diagnostics, its never pulled a code. What im concerned with is the poor design of the intercooler seal, even with new orings its minimised the boost leak but its still there. What have other people done to theirs to seal this problematic area. The forge twintercooler doesnt seem like a solution as it still uses the original intercooler. Considering the THS replacement but its £600 but a direct replacement. Is this the only option to guarantee a seal?

just wanted to let you know this happened to me and it was due to the turbo over boosting and me having to replace the turbo i hope it isnt the same because it cost my a bit to fix id say get a dynastics test on it and see what comes back. all the best tho

well when i spk to the garage tomorrow ill see when i can get it to them to check it over and get a diagnostic test see if it pulls anything up