Another 18" Alloy Wheel Discussion - help

IanL-RS3

Reaction score
I've decided to treat my car after its recent misfotunes to some nice 18inchers to replace the mint standards it has now. Plus me rear tyres need replaced anyway! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was saving up for Sportecs mono 10's (i think thats the name) or BBS CH's.

So I called up Drivers in Glasgow today to ask about prices with tyres etc . I told him my journey to work was on potholed back roads which is why i wanted the quality wheel. The guy i spoke told me that the differences in strength of a replica over the BBS (they don't stock sportec) were not enough in his opinion to justify doubling the cost. On looks he conceded maybe. His argument was that you could buy another replica wheel if you were to hit that killer pothole, but that he hadn't experienced any problems with the cheaper wheels they stocked And that you can repairs wheels for about £40.
Was this good salesmanship?

I understand the "you gets what you pay for" comment. And that there will be a difference with the stronger BBS / OEM alloys, but do they really justify the difference in price. I am assuming we are not talking against double drilled wheels either.

So i'm torn between mister sensible where the savings can be put to upgrading the stereo or mister fek it, i'll pay it off someday!! Anybody help?

There seems to be plenty of users of replicas up here....

How many positive experiences do we have and how many negatives?

Also are there any good Sportec/BBS CH replicas?

Sorry for the long rambling post!!

Ta in Advance

PS - i've ruled out second hand OEM's

Hi,
Imo blow the expence and get the real ones,nothing looks worse than a set of cheep fox alloysl;
Merdock

[ QUOTE ]

Was this good salesmanship?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and No, he had a point, and he has more profit to be made with the replica wheels too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

There seems to be plenty of users of replicas up here....

How many positive experiences do we have and how many negatives?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ian,

I bought RS6 replicas for the A4 a while back (can't remember exactly when) and have not had any problems as such with them.

I did hit a large pot hole whilst "enjoying the drive" on a local back road which buckled the alloy however managed to get it repaired for about £30 with no problems since.

I would think that if it had been an OEM alloy it would still have buckled as my wife managed to do the same thing when we had the MR2.

I certainly have no complaints about mine and am more than happy with them. I would not consider OEM alloys unless the price was comparable.

Hope this helps.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif

I hit a huge crator in a road with some replicat wheels and the tyre got torn on the outer wall and the wheel had a chip out of it i had it checked and it was fine.
The only way you will really know is to just get them and see.

thanks guys...
seems like reps dont have a bad rep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i'm gonna take a close up look at some wheels next week at drivers and i wont discount reps. although oz superleggera are currently floating my boat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I paid a shed load for some Mille Miglias and they still got a flat spot when I hit a pot hole/canyon. My mate did the same in his Volvo 850r and his originals were ruined.
Looked like a 50p piece....

The superleggeras are quite soft since they are light.

My mate has 17" ones on his civic and the front left is buckled and his mum has 19" ones on her TT and 2 of those have been replaced.

So it depends on what sort of roads you are on each day.

in my opinion the tyre size has a major impact on what wheel size you get and damage that occurs.

basicially when you go bigger in wheel size the strength in the inner rim is compromised due to smaller angle radius, and then the thinner tyre means that more pressure is put on the rim and not absorbed by the tyre.

I'm personnally gonna go for 18' rs4 replecas on my a6 with sum 225/40's on as they are wide and have a good tyre wall height on them to absorb more force. and tyre price not as bad as 19's also wanted to keep a bit of comfort

I had sum 17's on an astra (i know, vauxhall) brand new kahn replecas with 205/40's and round my area there is alot of potholes and drains, after 6 months 2 were buckled and 1 slightly, they were only out a little and drove very smoothly but the car was lowered which didn't help!