MMMmmm where to get a complete engine rebuild ???

AARON77

Reaction score
Hi guys think I'm gonna bite the bullit and have a complete engine rebuild and big turbo !!!
What I wanna know is where you had yours done how much, how far I should go and wat gains from it????
I'm defo at the stage where there's not much else to do but rebuild so I'm now ready to spend some more dough

Last edited:
Well you wont get any gains as such but perhaps restore some lost performance. I would have the hole bottom end replaced minus the crank and everything in the head minus the camshaft. I would have thought it will be at least £1500 but thats just a random estimate as I would do it myself if I wanted a full engine rebuild.

Worth doing though given your mods and mileage.

haha £1500 too little for you to spend isi lol, feel free to share it with me if you cant spend your money quick enough :)

I didnt know you wanted it bored out, thought you just wanted to replace your parts with fresh new ones.

Possibly best to get a stroker kit then if you want to increase your engine capacity, worth sending Andrew on here a PM as hes has a bigger capacity engine. You might aswell change your turbo then to compliment your extra capacity but then it all gets expensive but up to you.

Remove your engine and install a 3.2 V6 twin turbo for 600hp or go big turbo

As an rough indication I've just had new engine built and fitted by the guys at Backdraft Motorsport, due to a con rod letting go at 5000 revs, and the final bill came to just the wrong side of 6 grand!
I cant speak too highly of the team there, friendly, helpful and full of experience, best of all though they make great coffee!

Hope this helps a little

Why?

Explain your thought process behind wanting it done....

I'm just interested.
Love going fast love spending money
My engines done a lot of miles was gonna just do the rods but I never do things by halves

As an rough indication I've just had new engine built and fitted by the guys at Backdraft Motorsport, due to a con rod letting go at 5000 revs, and the final bill came to just the wrong side of 6 grand!
I cant speak too highly of the team there, friendly, helpful and full of experience, best of all though they make great coffee!

Hope this helps a little

£6k....??!!

What did you get for that? Standard or upgraded parts?

£6k....??!!

What did you get for that? Standard or upgraded parts?

Forged rods and pistons, new valves, seals, oil & water pumps etc etc, hoses needed replacing, 2 x running in oil and filters a few odds and sods that needed doing, Revo 3 set back up all ready to go. £5000 plus the VAT sounds a lot until you look at the invoice, it all adds up!

It goes well though so i'm not complaining!

And thats all that counts bud. I dont think i would ever pay out that much but it is a lot of work considering.

Yeah that's the way I look at it.
The thing is I only owned the car for 5 hours before it went pop and, although i can handle a spanner or two, it wasn't a project i felt comfortable about taking on myself, and as BDM had previously worked on the car I felt they would be best suited. the original quote was around 2k but that ws before i decided on upgrading the internals, and there was quite a bit of labour (£60 per hr) involved in stripping and rectifying what was in fact a mess!
Apparently the car has been known on this forum in the past, owned by a guy called Glen something or other
Shame he never opted for the internals upgrade when he had the turbo kit fitted originally

My 2.1 wasn't cheap at all

The only reason i went down that road was my crank was unrepairable due to be oil pump fail and the garage rigging the oil pressure light to stay off, it needed boring out due to the previous owner doing a bodge job to the engine as it dropped a valve and smashed about in the cylinder.

After i did that i knew that it needed a new turbo as the k04 ran out of puff at about 4.5k - 5k so i saved for the GTX3076r

Well I can say LVS in Lincoln who did mine... Spot on, friendly helpful plus there 2 mile down road..

It all depends on what you want mate.. Stronger bottom end for starters..

I went a lil mad with mine if im honest, my budget was 6.5k but i know for a fact its more 8k..

BUT its done now.. it was all the little things you forget about..

Clutch, DM, Engine mounts, the list goes on...

As i said this morning give him a bell and see what he can do..