What I have been up to the past year...(picture heavy)

Thats the benchmark right there. Awesome job.

Is anyone else running a lightened flywheel or one of the fidanza flywheels? This fidanza one I am using seems to have a fair bit of chatter during idle. Just took the car out for a quick spin down the road now and it wasn't so evident then but my face wasn't in the engine bay.

Is anyone else running a lightened flywheel or one of the fidanza flywheels? This fidanza one I am using seems to have a fair bit of chatter during idle. Just took the car out for a quick spin down the road now and it wasn't so evident then but my face wasn't in the engine bay.

S3 Baby had a different flywheel to standard on his S3 when he bought it and it would chatter quite a bit. You could notice it when at standstill but the noise changed when the clutch was depressed.

Single mass flywheels always chatter mate... hear it all the time on the SEAT's that roll into Bill's with them on...

<tuffty/>

S3 Baby had a different flywheel to standard on his S3 when he bought it and it would chatter quite a bit. You could notice it when at standstill but the noise changed when the clutch was depressed.

Yeah it goes away when the clutch is engaged as you would expect. It is just louder than I had expected but oh well!

Single mass flywheels always chatter mate... hear it all the time on the SEAT's that roll into Bill's with them on...

<tuffty/>

Yeah I expected some mate but a bit louder than I thought! Anyway I will see how it goes with time. The music can always be turned up if need be!

Fantastic car Andy, great attention to detail. It reminds me of the widebody S4 Doug has just built at MRC. Perhaps you should make a video?

Fantastic car Andy, great attention to detail. It reminds me of the widebody S4 Doug has just built at MRC. Perhaps you should make a video?

Thanks Andy. I hadn't seen the S4 you were referring to so I had a quick google search and found the video you were talking about. I will get the car run in and set up first before doing that! His video though is brilliant. The car looks and sounds excellent too. I have attached the link below to the video as it is worth looking at:

MRC WIDEBODY S4 on Vimeo

Not a particularly exciting update.............................MOT passed. Just a case of tax and insurance now, can't wait.

any issues with the MOT or all good?

Nearside rear indicator was a little 'white' so had to change the bulb! It gave me the first chance to have a look at the car from underneath on the lift and not with 1 foot of room whilst lying uncomfortably on my back on a dusty floor choking on the dust I kept disturbing! Oh what I would have paid for a lift to work on.............

Finally taxed and insured. Insurance took a while to sort out in the end. I tried different companies for a whole week but either got high quotes or no response then finally I tried Sky Insurance off of here. I did originally try them first but could never get through on the phone but gave them one last try on Friday and they arranged insurance for a good price and efficiently unlike some of the other companies I tried.

Anyway so I finally got on the road. I have been logging the oil pressure via a switch installed in the turbo feed line near the oil filter and would be interested to know if anybody else has logged their oil pressure and what readings they were getting at idle/fast idle etc. I've also had a chance to feel what the new roll bars and suspension are like. The car feels quite tight which is good and the kw sports suspension is firmer than I had anticipated. I haven't seen much boost on the zeitronix gauge but I have been keeping it under 3k so the turbo will barely be spooling up. Just plodding along at the moment with very little power getting some miles covered!

Last edited:
Finally taxed and insured. Insurance took a while to sort out in the end. I tried different companies for a whole week but either got high quotes or no response then finally I tried Sky Insurance off of here. I did originally try them first but could never get through on the phone but gave them one last try on Friday and they arranged insurance for a good price and efficiently unlike some of the other companies I tried.

Anyway so I finally got on the road to run it in. I've been keeping it under 3k rpm at the moment and will do so for a few hundred miles to run it in before I start to put more load on it and check out what this tune is like from Unitronics. I have been logging the oil pressure via a switch installed in the turbo feed line near the oil filter and would be interested to know if anybody else has logged their oil pressure and what readings they were getting at idle/fast idle etc. I've also had a chance to feel what the new roll bars and suspension are like. The car feels quite tight which is good and the kw sports suspension is firmer than I had anticipated. I haven't seen much boost on the zeitronix gauge but I have been keeping it under 3k so the turbo will barely be spooling up. Just plodding along at the moment with very little power getting some miles covered!

Take it easy Andy, your patience will pay off ;) I also have the KW kit and find it quite a nice medium between standard and super harsh suspension.

Take it easy Andy, your patience will pay off ;) I also have the KW kit and find it quite a nice medium between standard and super harsh suspension.

Yeah I will mate. The ride in mine will feel harder because of the mtm wheels but I think it is also a case of having not driven the car for a year so I guess I will get used to it again. Good luck with your thread- glad it is progressing nicely!

DSC_0002.jpg
I cant get over how good this car looks! Loving the contrast of black against that pearly white.

Reactions: andrecc and Inertiauk
Thanks buddy. Just went out for another spin in it, I've disconnected the MBC and just running actuator pressure, 18psi. Seems to be pulling quite nicely at the moment just on that although the wastegate was opening up much lower than that when I tested it so I need to adjust that a bit.

This is a very well prepped car!

How did you go with the inlet?

Still waiting on the inlet Sam- spoke to SEM last week and they said it wasn't ready but they would be in touch soon. Once I have some news I will get in touch with you about whether the original one is up for sale.

I have had a couple of issues to sort out of late with the car. Firstly a loud clunking noise which turned out to be the nearside rear wishbone bush that decided to start to pop out. I have replaced this and it is back on. I also had a slightly more important issue with regards to having no brakes. The brake pedal went hard with very little braking effect. I expected that it had something to do with the booster or the line so I took that apart earlier. Turns out that the hose near the actual booster has collapsed due to the heat of the downpipe. I re-routed a new piece of hose from the booster to the intake to free up room for the downpipe but even with the heat shielding in place it turns out it was getting too hot and hence melted to a degree, collapsed and made my brakes non existent (luckily not on the road).

Now, I am rethinking how to go about doing this and would like anybody's suggestions. I am either going to look for a braided hose/shielded hose I can use although I still have my concerns as to whether this will stand up to much or alternatively I was going to make a piece of metal pipe in the area where it is near to the downpipe and then continue it on further up with a standard reinforced hose to the intake. Is there anything else anybody would suggest? Thanks Andy

More heat shielding mate... S3 heat shielding isn't enough especially on top mount turbo's

You could use either ali or SS tube if you want a hard pipe... the servo line only sees vacuum...

<tuffty/>

More heat shielding mate... S3 heat shielding isn't enough especially on top mount turbo's

You could use either ali or SS tube if you want a hard pipe... the servo line only sees vacuum...

<tuffty/>

The problem with more heat shielding mate is that there is very little room for more, it is almost touching it, that is why I am verging on a SS piece of tube which at least gives me the option of directing it where I want and won't melt. I had a feeling that it may have been an issue and turns out it was. Will get hold of some tube tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Bit more of an update. I have been driving the car more frequently now. I replaced the dodgy wishbone bush and fixed the brake servo hose so that is all ok now. I also thought I would try a different rated spring in the supersize dump valve as the one that came with it was a red one which seemed too high for what I was running boost wise. The car in general drives nicely when the turbo kicks in but seems a bit hesitant under 3k revs especially in 1st and 2nd so I need to get to the bottom of this. Once I pull past 3.5k and the turbo starts to kick in then the power delivery is nice and smooth. I am running on the MBC now and have gradually increased that to about 18psi of boost which is what I was seeing on my display earlier. The log below also suggests it is running about that amount with a peak airflow of 191.7 and 2240mbar. The highlighted yellow part of the log was where I got a decent part of the road to drop back into 3rd and run from about 2.5k to just over 5k. I will take it a bit further on the next few logs. The actual boost vs the requested boost seems quite off at some points so I need to look into this. I have boost leak tested it a few times and found a couple of minor leaks but will do another again soon. The previous boost leak tests I have done have been post turbo, has anyone got any info on whether it is ok to test it pre turbo as obviously it will only be seeing vacuum at this point and I don't want to go causing any damage to the turbo. Any comments on the log appreciated.

log1.jpg

Andy, with your turbo, shouldnt you be getting WAAAAAAAY more than 194g/s at 18psi?

I get 189g/s from a ko3S that's struggling to make 12psi at 6000rpm!

194 g/s at 5200rpm and at 18psi doesn't seem that bad does it? lol

Looking at Tufftys old logs, just over 22psi at 5040rpm getting 240 g/s

Andy, with your turbo, shouldnt you be getting WAAAAAAAY more than 194g/s at 18psi?

I get 189g/s from a ko3S that's struggling to make 12psi at 6000rpm!

I would have thought so too prawn but am just going by the logs at the moment. I'm going to see how it performs with a bit more boost tomorrow.

is it mapped yet?
is that the stock sized maf housing?

Yeah it has the Unitronic 630cc file on the ecu. It uses the standard 3" maf housing which is what they require you to use. I went with them as they have a good rep in Canada/US and people seem to speak highly of their tunes.