What I have been up to the past year...(picture heavy)

I likey .....are you the work master or is a tuner getting credit for your build......
loving the paint job too....propper class....
got to love your stealth build......

I likey .....are you the work master or is a tuner getting credit for your build......
loving the paint job too....propper class....
got to love your stealth build......

Sorry did you mean did somebody else build this? If so then no, the build has been done by my own hands with only a few parts getting made/done which I didn't have the equipment to do/make:
Powdercoated wheels
Intercooler- I don't have an AC tig so don't weld aluminium. It was built to my design
The unitronics 630cc tune- Unitronics in Canada did this.

Sorry did you mean did somebody else build this? If so then no, the build has been done by my own hands with only a few parts getting made/done which I didn't have the equipment to do/make:
Powdercoated wheels
Intercooler- I don't have an AC tig so don't weld aluminium. It was built to my design
The unitronics 630cc tune- Unitronics in Canada did this.
A credit to you then! loving the exhaust, your tig skills arnt bad either....

Last edited:
Is the mapping done yet? I have a feeling that you may have some issues with the EGT probe location especially on stock management... I have no experience of the Unitronics maps but know they are popular in the states but unless they up the EGT protection limit based on the probe reading then having the probe in the collector means it will end up seeing EGT's heading towards late 900 deg... while this is pretty normal EGT wise (at that point in the mani) ECU protection kicks in at 925 deg on an S3 map as std and if the map isn't adjusted to suit then you will be full on rich by the time you hit 6k+ rpm killing your power and potentially flooding the cylinders...

OEM position is in hotside of the K04 the I ended up moving mine to just past the vband connection to the hotside of my GT30 (same internal gate hotside as yours)...

<tuffty/>

This is the best looking 8L I've seen, beautiful.

Top work Andy.

The most impressive part is how you managed to keep all your pics and details under wraps for a year! I would have been too excited ;)

amazing thread do you want my car as a project lol the welding and attention to detail is great i wish i could do what you have done to mine.

Is the mapping done yet? I have a feeling that you may have some issues with the EGT probe location especially on stock management... I have no experience of the Unitronics maps but know they are popular in the states but unless they up the EGT protection limit based on the probe reading then having the probe in the collector means it will end up seeing EGT's heading towards late 900 deg... while this is pretty normal EGT wise (at that point in the mani) ECU protection kicks in at 925 deg on an S3 map as std and if the map isn't adjusted to suit then you will be full on rich by the time you hit 6k+ rpm killing your power and potentially flooding the cylinders...

OEM position is in hotside of the K04 the I ended up moving mine to just past the vband connection to the hotside of my GT30 (same internal gate hotside as yours)...

<tuffty/>

The unitronics tune is mapped based on the configuration of parts I gave them. They seem to have a very good rep in the US/Canada and I was happy with the conversation I had with one of them regarding the tune and its abilities and limitations. I still have the ability to alter specifics in the map but the map will adjust accordingly to the boost I run. As for the egt probe, I'm not aware if they have altered the egt limits but it is something I will ask them. If I have issues with this then I will cap the original location off and relocate the sensor to the downpipe. I have a live reading of the egt on the Zeitronix unit which I can keep an eye on as the sensor for that is located in the collector also so will show near on the same temperature. I have also installed a warning system you can get with the Zeitronix units which I can preset at certain levels for different sensors to warm me if it has passed the set limits so I will be doing that with the egt and the oil pressure sensor I have installed.

It won't be too much bother relocating it but if Unitronics haven't upped the limit but they are able to then I will most likely take the ecu out and send it back to them as that will be less of a hassle.

I was originally going to use the Eurodyne tuning software but they were incapable of responding to the simplest of emails and calls and Unitronics had a good rep and customer service so they got my vote.

This is the best looking 8L I've seen, beautiful.

Top work Andy.

The most impressive part is how you managed to keep all your pics and details under wraps for a year! I would have been too excited ;)

Thanks westy. I didn't so much keep it under wraps, more so I didn't really have the time to start a thread and continue to update it whilst doing this and trying to have a life! It might have been easier because it took ages just putting it all in one thread. There have been quite a few delays with different bits, especially the paint, so it certainly took longer than I had planned but it's getting there.

The unitronics tune is mapped based on the configuration of parts I gave them. They seem to have a very good rep in the US/Canada and I was happy with the conversation I had with one of them regarding the tune and its abilities and limitations. I still have the ability to alter specifics in the map but the map will adjust accordingly to the boost I run. As for the egt probe, I'm not aware if they have altered the egt limits but it is something I will ask them. If I have issues with this then I will cap the original location off and relocate the sensor to the downpipe. I have a live reading of the egt on the Zeitronix unit which I can keep an eye on as the sensor for that is located in the collector also so will show near on the same temperature. I have also installed a warning system you can get with the Zeitronix units which I can preset at certain levels for different sensors to warm me if it has passed the set limits so I will be doing that with the egt and the oil pressure sensor I have installed.

It won't be too much bother relocating it but if Unitronics haven't upped the limit but they are able to then I will most likely take the ecu out and send it back to them as that will be less of a hassle.

I was originally going to use the Eurodyne tuning software but they were incapable of responding to the simplest of emails and calls and Unitronics had a good rep and customer service so they got my vote.

Sounds like a plan :) good luck with it bud, will look forward to seeing the results :thumbsup:

I really must pull my finger out and get mine finished LOL...

<tuffty/>

amazing thread do you want my car as a project lol the welding and attention to detail is great i wish i could do what you have done to mine.

Thanks. I'll have you car for free if you want to give me it?? :yes: As for the detail etc, I have a bit of a problem whereby if something doesn't fit or look as it should then I will redo it or alter it. The rear bumper and exhaust is probably an example of that. Getting the bumper the correct shape and making it look as if it was part of the original car was time consuming. I don't want to think how many hours I spent on that, probably in the region of 50 until I was happy with it. The exhausts also had to be as wide as possible to get the look right because two oval pipes close together would have looked strange. They ended up as wide as they could be without removing the rear supsension and just having the rear wheels rigid!

Sounds like a plan :) good luck with it bud, will look forward to seeing the results :thumbsup:

I really must pull my finger out and get mine finished LOL...

<tuffty/>

Thanks mate. I'll get it on the road for now and then go from there.....As for getting it finished- these things are never finished are they!?!

sounds a plan i give you the car you do the work pick it up next year lmao.

in time your car is what i would love to do ive got the rare colour just need the engine go with it now lol.
i can do welding but no where near as neat or tidy as your pics so wouldnt trust myself to do the turbo build with my welding skills

Love it Andy, car looks awesome, well done :)

Thanks mate. I'll get it on the road for now and then go from there.....As for getting it finished- these things are never finished are they!?!

Innit!! you have most of the bits I have planned to finish mine anyway hence the interest as the specs are pretty similar... be interesting to see the difference between your tubular and my log manifold... the only other difference (other than the SEM of course) is your turbo spec... assuming its the compact housing variation like mine was originally... uses the GT2871 housings rather than the GT3071 large housings.. this turbo (off the shelf) has a smaller trim turbine than the T3 external gate GT30's... not sure of the spec off hand but when I sent mine back to CR for a new hotside I ended up with a new cartridge with a proper size turbine which is a different trim and larger than the compact GT3071... the smaller turbine will spool quick but loose a bit top end...

Get it sorted and I'll organise a dyno day at Bill's so we can run them side by side... :D

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
I dont think they'll fit...

Ill get my coat

Reactions: 666markyboy
Again, thanks for the comments guys.

Innit!! you have most of the bits I have planned to finish mine anyway hence the interest as the specs are pretty similar... be interesting to see the difference between your tubular and my log manifold... the only other difference (other than the SEM of course) is your turbo spec... assuming its the compact housing variation like mine was originally... uses the GT2871 housings rather than the GT3071 large housings.. this turbo (off the shelf) has a smaller trim turbine than the T3 external gate GT30's... not sure of the spec off hand but when I sent mine back to CR for a new hotside I ended up with a new cartridge with a proper size turbine which is a different trim and larger than the compact GT3071... the smaller turbine will spool quick but loose a bit top end...

Get it sorted and I'll organise a dyno day at Bill's so we can run them side by side... :D

<tuffty/>

This is the original turbo as I bought it, I got a good deal off of someone on ebay who bought it and never got round to using it:

DSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0245.jpg

Spec here: TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog

It has a 0.64 hotside and originally came with the compressor housing shown but after trying to fit it in various positions I decided it was too big to work with and was going to cause too many headaches so opted for the smaller compact housing off of the gt28. There probably would have been enough space to get it in with the original housing but the inlet on that was 2.75 inches and the gt28 has a 3" inlet as you will know which meant I could just run a 3" section for the TIP straight to the filter. The actuator was also an issue too as there wasn't enough room to use a standard bracket for that and instead I had to make the bracket shown in the thread to position the actuator further back and use a longer arm to reach the wastegate flap. That was also on top of having to trim part of the rocker cover and heatshield at the back to get it all fitting ok.

I'm definately up for organising the rolling road but can't say when that will be as I need to get it on one here first to get the boost dialled in and the water injection set up. I will of course let you know on here once it is ready and running ok.

Ok a little update to this. I noticed an oil leak at the turbo inlet and what looked like a little bit on the drain pipe- this could have been oil that had leaked down from the inlet but either way I wanted to check everything was ok.

The oil restrictor I was using which I bought from intengineering in the US didn't appear to be the correct thread and it seemed to have a bit of play in it and therefore some oil was being pushed out along the threads. I ordered a new restrictor from someone here in the UK and went about fitting that and a new oil filter to the turbo oil supply pipe. I then checked the oil drain which was a bit of a pig to do. The gasket seemed to be oil soaked so it looked as though it may have been leaking or getting caught up on the edge of the gasket and not going down into the drain pipe. The metal gasket I got from audi for the original ko4 turbo was the wrong size for this garrett so instead I used the card gasket that came with one of the fittings I used and this appeared to be a problem. I went back to the original metal gasket and removed some of the edge to get it to fit correctly and bolted all that back in place. I started it up again and there was no leak from either the inlet or outlet so that was good.

The previous few starts I had done concerned me a little bit because there appeared to be some white smoke coming out of the tailpipes and water was puddling a bit in the actual tailpipes. I had expected some burn off from the rebuild but was getting a bit concerned with the smoke. It wasn't anything major, you can see it in the first video below. The coolant level had also seemed to drop but I wasn't sure whether that was down to not having put enough in in the first place or the fact that the coolant hadn't fully circulated the engine. The whining noise from the secondary water pump which was in the first video I uploaded has now gone. I was unsure whether the pump was faulty so I tested it and it was pumping ok so I put it back in and the whining noise has gone away.

Anyway back on to the smoke issue. I was in a rush on Friday to do any checks but thought I would quickly check the compression of each cylinder. I did this cold whereas it should really be done when the engine is warm. I got the following compression from 1-4: 165,170,165,170 so the compression appeared to be fine. I might test this again later when it is warm as the figures will likely be higher. I was worried that there could have possibly been an issue with the headgasket which my dad had brought me back from the US with the rods and valves I ordered. There also didn't appear to be any coolant mixing with the oil as there was no discolouration or any signs on the dipstick or filler cap.

I couldn't work on the car on the weekend so it just went round in my head what the smoke could be coming from. The car had been sat for almost a year and a lot of that was outside when it was snowing and very cold even though it was covered up. It is likely that the petrol lines and tank may have had some water in them so I thought that this could possibly be burning off. Anyway, on the way home this morning I stopped by and picked up some more coolant and topped it up to the correct level and decided to keep and eye on it to see if it was dropping. I started the car up and let it run for a bit (video 2 below). It started around the 1100rpm mark and then settled at about 900rpm. No smoke came from the tailpipes and the water vapour that was evident before appeared to have gone. I ran it up to operating temperature and kept an eye on things. Coolant level was not dropping and there was still no smoke from the exhaust or any odd smell from them. You can see the difference between the two videos below.

I am going to run it a few more times today and test the compression again. Hopefully the smoke was just a build up of water in the lines. Once I am happy with that then I will look at running it up and down a bit with a view to getting an MOT done so I can properly get it going and tested. I didn't install a cat on the exhaust so I will be interested to see how it does on the emissions. I made a section in near the front which I could take out if need be and put a cat in so it is not the end of the world if I need to put one in.

Anyway I will update this as more gets done. Thanks for reading.

Andy

andyg31

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks absolutely amazing! Great work. I wish I had even the slightest ability to take apart, modify, fabricate and rebuild a car like that. My "talent" ends at removing screws/bolts and maybe tightening a jubilee clip :(

Reactions: S3Lol
Ok bit more of an update but it is not a happy one..................infact I am pretty pis*ed off to say the least.

The car is booked in for its MOT on Thursday so I was sorting out a few little bits and decided I would check for any leaks by doing a boost test. So I go and make a bit of kit and hook it up to the tip and start to allow some air in the system. I started out pretty low, only about 10psi and found quite a big leak on one of the pipes back to the tip from the dump valve. Not so much of a biggie so I sorted that out. There was also a leaking noise from underneath the SEM intake so I thought ok one of the vacuum sources must need tightening. Checked where it was leaking and they were all fine.

This then brought me back to a discussion I had with one of the guys at SEM when I received my intake. I wasn't happy with some of the pitting on the underneath of the manifold and it looked like there was some flaws in the casting. I was told that it should be fine and that the bracket part at the bottom can sometimes be a bit porous......nothing to worry about.

Here is what I was worried about:

SEMmanifoldholes.jpg

Now see who can guess where the leaking air is coming from??!!

Not happy to say the least....

Last edited:
Dude, bad times, let us know what your supplier/SEM say, I hope they sort it for you.

I bought it directly from SEM, I'm currently waiting on a reply to my email to them.

woops

first leaky one I have seen.. Porosity I have seen previously, but not thru hole.

Where did you buy it from?
What do they say?

woops

first leaky one I have seen.. Porosity I have seen previously, but not thru hole.

Where did you buy it from?
What do they say?

I bought it directly from SEM in Canada.

I thought it looked an issue when I first got it and lo and behold it is.

Still waiting on a reply, only sent the email when I discovered it about 1h ago.

Stunning S3 you have there Andy! I take my hat off to you for your originality and craftsmanship!

Now, fancy making me an exhaust ;)

Ryan

Thanks Ryan. Yeah I would make you an exhaust, the issue being it would take longer as I don't have a lift and I had to do that one while lying on the floor with only a foot or so of room! If I had a lift then I would do one for you but unfortunately I don't!

Ok bit of an update. Spoke to Marco at SEM. Originally dealt with him from the start and he was always a decent and helpful guy and he has again been helpful. He is going to get another one machined and sent out to me and I can return this one back to him. There could however be a chance that the manifold I currently have is up for sale at a discounted price. All that needs doing is the pits welding. I could get this done myself but it is more out of principle that I want a replacement because of the price of it.

As this is the case, if anybody is interested in the intake then let me know and it will be on a first come first basis if it is available to sell. Don't expect some crazy discount as it will cost very little to weld it up but it could save a few hundred pounds on a brand new one. It has also been machined for a r32 throttle body so no adapters needed and is a large port. I'll update on this if it is available for sale.

Brief update and a few pictures. The exhaust seemed too loud as it was so I decided to put another silencer in the centre. It is only a small one but has made a reasonable difference but I will see how it sounds after driving it for a while. Still not on the road yet, was meant to have an mot yesterday but didn't get round to making it due to other commitments. Anyway, here are a few pictures below of the new silencer and a couple of pictures of the car without a bumper after I had cleaned off all of the crud that had settled on it from being in my garage. On a negative note, whilst welding the exhaust earlier, I knocked the front bumper with the exhaust and put a mark on it..........sweet........newly painted bumper now with a mark.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg