annoying 0-60 problem!

ja3mie

A3 1.8t Quattro Sport!
Reaction score
hey people. im a bit of a tart so i enjoy working on bringing my 0-60 down..

one thing thats REALLY annoying me is the fact i have to change to 3rd to reach 60!

has anyone done anything ratio wise (maybe even raise limiter?) to allow 60 in 2nd?

im still getting used to driving the car, when to change gear etc etc for the perfect shift but this is one thing thats bugging me, it loses power before limiter so i have to change..

input please :)

i can hit 70 in second! in my remapped 1.8t :eyebrows: but i'm guessing its coz you've got 6speed sorry not very helpful i know lol!!

i have a 5 speed 180bhp quattro? am i not taking the revs ANYWHERE NEAR high enough by the sounds of it? lol man, i think im too used to diesel! lol

lol yeah you should be able to hit 0-60 in second gear by the time you hit around 6500rpm
plus i never rag my car in first! alway change around 5000rpm when im playin.
have you had it remapped?

you won't get 60 out of a std car un mappped.

If you remap it and get the rev limit upped you will hit 60 at the red line then in 2nd.

However you do relaise that the poor little turbo is out of puff WAY before the redline don't you?

Don't change until about 300-500 before the limiter, and from chatting with the other TQS boys, they hit 60 in 2nd. I've got a 6 speed, so 60 is 3rd gear for me..

I think it's quick in the lower gears it's top end that let's it down.

im quite happy now then. coz i got my 150bhp 1.8t remapped and it hits 65-70 in second gear no problem.
i have never had it put on a rolling road as i had my map put on by a mobile service, so i dont know what output im getting? but if im hitting 70 in second all must be good!!:jump:

I think all 5 gear a3's will do 60 in second, it's the six speed box that needs 3rd for 60 as far as I know...

Also, I think power and gear ratios are not linked so regardless of whether you have 100 or 400 bhp you will still have to change gear at the same speed. (Unless you have the rev limiter raised/removed).

Could well be wrong, sure someone will correct me if I am :p

I cannot believe you run them to the redline like that, surely it would be quicker to change gear and drop back onto power rather than just let the revs carry it?

I was thinking of my A4 for ratios, maybe the A3 etc will do 60 odd in 2nd...

Hehe, was not saying it was the fastest way, just that it's possible :)

Good work... all you need to do now is get some traction and you may get somewhere handy to this... ;P

IMAG0503-1.jpg

<tuffty/>

Hahaha! Showoff! Is your engine finished now Tuffty or will you be posting a similar picture in the not so far future with an even smaller number?!

Last edited:
I think all 5 gear a3's will do 60 in second, it's the six speed box that needs 3rd for 60 as far as I know...

Also, I think power and gear ratios are not linked so regardless of whether you have 100 or 400 bhp you will still have to change gear at the same speed. (Unless you have the rev limiter raised/removed).

Could well be wrong, sure someone will correct me if I am :p

Yeah, the power should just affect how quickly you can hit the limiter/60mph, and the gear ratios determine what gear you have to be in to do it. Some maps raise the redline though, iirc, so might explain it. Also read about someone swapping out their final drive gear to work better with the additional power they got from a big turbo.

Good work... all you need to do now is get some traction and you may get somewhere handy to this... ;P

IMAG0503-1.jpg

<tuffty/>

slow mate, try 0 - 100 in 5.5 !!

in terms of all this 0 - 60 lark, who cares if a car will do 60 in 2nd gear or not lol

Hahaha! Showoff! Is your engine finished now Tuffty or will you be posting a similar picture in the not so far future with an even smaller number?!

Nearly there... just need to find some spare time to get her back on the dyno... Bill has been up to his ears in work recently so not really had a chance... might see if I can pop her on this weekend as I would like to get the mapping done for GTI at the end of the month...

<tuffty/>

slow mate, try 0 - 100 in 5.5 !!

in terms of all this 0 - 60 lark, who cares if a car will do 60 in 2nd gear or not lol

Meh.... I assume you are referring to bikes?

Anyhoo... 0-60 times are largely academic especially as VAG 5 and 6 speed boxes are really geared to suit... 4.6 secs isn't too shabby for a lardy S3 with average tyres but its all willy waving material anyway :)

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
ive got a 5 speed tqs and hit 60 in 2nd no problem at all, your not being a fanny with the loud pedal are you!? lol

There was an S3 that someone spotted for sale last autumn that had a 5 speed box in it. General conclusion on the forum was they'd fitted it to get to 60 in second.

Meh.... I assume you are referring to bikes?

Anyhoo... 0-60 times are largely academic especially as VAG 5 and 6 speed boxes are really geared to suit... 4.6 secs isn't too shabby for a lardy S3 with average tyres but its all willy waving material anyway :)

<tuffty/>

yea, the ducati and it'll hit 190 (it aint standard)

4.5 for any car is quick, and for a .8 1.4 ton car it's very quick lol, i'd love to get that in mine, but i'd rather put money towards a 2.7 rs4....

cheers for all the comments people! as people have mentioned, it does run out of puff before the limiter a bit, tonight i took a mate out in it and i hit the limiter a couple of times. i drive til i feel the power drop, and i didnt feel it tonight!

it seems to be getting quicker and quicker.. adaptive ecu on these?

hmmm

cheers for all the comments people! as people have mentioned, it does run out of puff before the limiter a bit, tonight i took a mate out in it and i hit the limiter a couple of times. i drive til i feel the power drop, and i didnt feel it tonight!

it seems to be getting quicker and quicker.. adaptive ecu on these?

hmmm

that's called using petrol and reducing weight lol

lol nooo, i used the petrol plenty of times since i had it, tell you one thing.. coming froma 2008 peugeot 207 1.6 diesel with 70+ mpg to this sucks! lol

yea, if you are heavy footed you'll only average 22/23

you can get 450 miles out of a tank on a run if you are gentre on the throttle...

wow, not 750miles to a tank like my 207? :O lol

what sorta money does the tank hold? i not filled mine yet lol

£82 if buying the good stuff in london (60 litre tank)

does "the good stuff" really make a difference? its the same price as diesel round here and never tried it tbh! isit worth the money?

4.5 for any car is quick, and for a .8 1.4 ton car it's very quick lol, i'd love to get that in mine, but i'd rather put money towards a 2.7 rs4....

I was looking at RS4's before settling on the S3... I'd still like one but I wouldn't be able to leave it alone until it had over 700bhp... engine out to do anything it would be a money pit LOL... but still very nice ;P

<tuffty/>

not a big fan of the rs4 prefer the rs6.

i have a tqs i found the lower gears the car aint that great get into the higher gears is when it starts pulling the 6 speed box compared to the 5speed i found is better on long streches and also you not bouncing of the limiter like the 5 speed to get the most out of it.

gear changes i do around 5-5.5k as find that is when the turbo is runing out of puff bang into next gear foot planted and away you go

i used to hit 58mph on sat nav at 6500rpm in my 1.8TQ now its easy it in the 1.8T lol get like 65

0-100 in 7.75 seconds on my Racelogic VBox 4 years ago in the 500bhp ibiza with its track wheels in the back going home from Combe - its has a lot more power coming soon. :)

Reactions: Inertiauk