this questions going to get me shot! lol

Just buy a 007P, mount it in the standard place like everybody else and be done with it.

Real men don't care about BOV's, they have screamer pipes :yes:

Jeeeeeeeeesus this thread is boring.

hmmm, screamer pipe! lol surley engines as "boost sensitive" as this cant have a screamer? lol

ive heard of screamer pipes what are they? chucked an atmos bov on mine where recirc is and nothing 99% of the time so why they bother selling atmos for these engines in standard location is beyond me,recirc back in place lol.

hmmm, screamer pipe! lol surley engines as "boost sensitive" as this cant have a screamer? lol

They sure can...

Have seen a fair few Ibizas/Leons with screamers :)

This is a screamer pipe -

nengun-1321-02-nightpager-extension_screamer_pipe.jpg

Basically its an external wast-gage pipe that aims to stop turbulence around the turbine, by dumping that air straight out of a pipe to atmosphere. They are noisy as!

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah just been tubing them lol think that would just get unwanted attention from police though bit of an extreme for a bit of turbo tssssh!

why do you say that though?

Because it's right quite simply.

I presume none of you are familiar with compressor stall?

Turbo stall or compressor stall is when the compressor wheel of the turbo is operating outside it's compressor map. Outside of this is unstable flow inside the mechanical workings of the turbo.

This is either caused by the compressor wheel being incorrect for your application (normally too large) or in most cases that you'll hear on forums is when letting off you get "chatter". This is because the compressor wheel is still spining and generating boost even though as the throttle is closed and the intake pressure is "backing up" as it has nowhere to go.

Blocked off pipes cause compressor stall. Simple. Atmospheric dump valves vent the engine's pre metered air into the atmosphere, meaning there is less air in the charge system that has already been accounted for by the MAF. This means you will run rich, and not as efficiently. Simple.

So Welly, was I basically right? And the reason why you would run a screamer is because it dumps at the turbo and is unmetered so doesn't effect efficiency that badly whilst eliminating compressor stall?

Like most people, I don't know tooooo much about them.

A mate of mine run a dump valve on his AGU golf, after about a week he started getting running issues and took it off, replaced with DV30 and its now fine, dump valves just dont seem to agree with the 1.8ts.

So Welly, was I basically right? And the reason why you would run a screamer is because it dumps at the turbo and is unmetered so doesn't effect efficiency that badly whilst eliminating compressor stall?

Like most people, I don't know tooooo much about them.

A screamer pipe is for evacuating air which has come from an external wastegate. It's no different to an internally gated turbo such as the K03, except that the air doesn't go into the exhaust.

i thought it would take a little off the boost tbh, i have never looked into them. i thought it was kind of had the same purpose as a DV, to release turbo pressure but constantly.. learn something new all the time :)

well i spent a few hours the other day testing 4 differnt dump valve's on my 1.8t AGU

1-TT225 (Recirculating)

2-Blitz sus (atmospheric)

3-Forge fmdv001 (atmospheric)

4-Forge split-r (atmospheric/Recirculating)

1-the tt one wouldn't hold boost properly and kept dropping from 1bar to 0.8 (maybe faulty don't no)
2-The blitz one kept causing compresor surge (chatter) no matter how i adjusted it
3-The forge one was perfect holded boost nicely at 1 bar and never caused me to run rich as far as i can tell by looking at my spark plugs
4-The forge split-r very much like the tt one kept dropping boost no matter how it was ajusted and very quiet so no point

As welly says: dump valves vent the engine's pre metered air into the atmosphere, meaning there is less air in the charge system that has already been accounted for by the MAF. This means you will run rich

I would of thought that if you ran rich because of this then it would be for a split second after you come back on throttle and the amount would be so small if any (noticable)

ive sold my split-r and now going to get a atmospheric just bec i like it lol

3-The forge one was perfect holded boost nicely at 1 bar and never caused me to run rich as far as i can tell by looking at my spark plugs

How long did you have it on there? If you spent a few hours testing 4 different valves, then your plugs wouldn't show you anything after such little time in honesty.

If you are going to keep running it, keep an eye on the plugs over a longer term.

Better still, use VAG COM to measure block 032 to see your fuel trims.

How long did you have it on there? If you spent a few hours testing 4 different valves, then your plugs wouldn't show you anything after such little time in honesty.

If you are going to keep running it, keep an eye on the plugs over a longer term.

Better still, use VAG COM to measure block 032 to see your fuel trims.

Yeh cheers welly will do, I had the forge atmos on there while i drove to my mates to give it him back which was 25 mile and i checked the plugs when i got there.

I'm currently running a Split-R with open cone filter, all I can say is it's pretty damn loud, louder than my 007 is with open cone. I haven;t had any running issues with the Split-R, 20 clicks clockwise for remapped engine (K04) and it's all good, MPG is unchanged and boost is held the same as the yellow spring on my 007.

There are a few guys on SCN running twin piston atmospheric valves, HKS SSQV & Forge 004, both with no issues either.

I'm currently running a Split-R with open cone filter, all I can say is it's pretty damn loud, louder than my 007 is with open cone. I haven;t had any running issues with the Split-R, 20 clicks clockwise for remapped engine (K04) and it's all good, MPG is unchanged and boost is held the same as the yellow spring on my 007.

There are a few guys on SCN running twin piston atmospheric valves, HKS SSQV & Forge 004, both with no issues either.

Without any 'known' issues is the key thing here... facts are... the ECU fuels for the metered air, blowing the lot to atmos means that the mixture will run rich... while this may not have any noticeable effect (subjective at best... I know of several people that think driving with wheel bearings humming and brake pads worn to the metal is normal) the long term effects could include CAT damage (assuming you have one) and bore wash leading to contaminated oil...

The effects are also subjective but the advice is to use a recirculating valve as this is what the system is designed around...

<tuffty/>

Dave thanks for the words
I would say that there is not a valve in the market manufactured by anyone that will not have some issues ...the Split R is designed to work on the 1.8T motors and cause no ill effects ..however it is a matter of choice ...

Hi lads i see youve got onto the subject of screamer pipes, what kind of a noise does it make, any threads etc? Iv got a ryt loud screaming rushing of air sound noise when im on full boost and no loss of power so not sure if its a split pipe, the car i bought came all moded up from the owner before the guy i bought it from(if tht makes sense), so the guy i bought it from didnt hav a clue about the mods. Any suggestions where the noise could be coming from without me strting a pointless thread lol thanks.

it literally is as its name says.. it sounds like is screaming! lol think of turbo noise.. times it by 10 then you have it lol if you take a video it should help. does it drive ok? boost up fine etc?

it literally is as its name says.. it sounds like is screaming! lol think of turbo noise.. times it by 10 then you have it lol if you take a video it should help. does it drive ok? boost up fine etc?
Haha yeh its fine as far as i know of, its always made the noise, but since i put 007p on its got louder. Ill post one tomoro for all to hear dude. Thanks

this is the sound of a screamer pipe

the wastegate on your turbo normally diverts the exhaust gasses straight into the exhaust pipe, bypassing the turbo.

a screamer pipe is where your wastegate vents your exhaust gasses straight to atmosphere, which is why you see flames under that car in the video

...so you think you have a screamer? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahaa dude im not sayin i definitley got one, im just trying to find out y my turbo makes such a mad noise, thers no loss in boost of what i can tell, like i said the guy before had done loads to it, ie. Coldside relocation of dv and lots more,,, its got a miltek exhaust so its not loud at the back, but make a ryt racket at the front from sumwere by the turbo, so i think its a split pipe, but wouldnt it lose boost??? And it only does it when im fully on boost. Oh and i cant see the link dude??

you cant see the video? i embedded it,

heres the link to the youtube page YouTube - &#x202a;S3 0-400 0.78BAR (3)&#x202c;&rlm;

could it be a leaky gasket or something similar?
yeh that is somthing iv considerd, i think iv got a hairline fracture in my manifold as it sounds like its popping when i firts start the car then it stops once im on the move. Iv made a recording of the noise and ill post on youtube when iv finished work. And its probly because im on my phone that i cant see the link, but thanks anyway dude.

Managed to see it mate, jeeez myn dont sound that furotious, but its a very similar noise myns just alot moree quiet than the one on the link, and ther be no flames shooting from under my car lol im having my engine mount done next week so its looks like im gona just give it a good inspection. Thanks agen for suggestions.

Hi lads iv posted some clips on youtube, i cant put the link up yet as im doing this from my phone. If you have the time then type into you tube Audi a3 1.8 20v turbo, the names camscockle on ther aswel,and it should be 4 or five down, iv posted two clips as one is from inside nd the other out the window, the first clip is quite low so you ll have to turn the speakers up lol and the 2nd has got lots of wind turbulance but be patient as yo can hear it the 2nd time i put my phone out the window, they are crap clips tbf but hope fully you can hear it and have an idea what it could be? Sounds like really bad turbo rattle to me now iv been giving it more thought lol but the turbo whistles lovely on low revs so im abit confused lol. Any ideas thank you .

i would guess at clutch slipping, when you hear that sound the revs climb more quickly. But you seem set on it being exhaust gas related, perhaps? See what others think

Last edited:
i would guess at clutch slipping, when you hear that sound the revs climb more quickly. But you seem set on it being exhaust gas related, perhaps? See what others think
Hi mate im not ruleing anything out but i had the clutch changed about a month ago to the single mass flywheel, and it made this noise before i converted it. Just sounds like its coming from that side is all. Iv got a worn engine mount so could it be somthing touching somthing else and rattling or rubbing? as its the bottom mount thts nakerd. So giving it welly would make alot of movement. Thanks for the suggestion mate.

oh ok, then i would guess at a leaky gasket somewhere

Welly knows what a blowing exhaust manifold sounds like