Wanting neons to turn on when the door opens ...

kazino21

Reaction score
Hi guys and girl(s). Just looking to run a wire to a relay to switch on my neons in the doors and footwells when the doorlight goes on when you open the door (the light that faces downwards to illuminate the ground when you step out). However I have found that when the door is closed the voltage still stays at 10v which isn't enough to turn the relay off so what ends up happening is that the relay just stays on permananently. Short of making a potential divider circuit for it is there a better way to do this?

Interior red neons, two in the footwells and a couple in the door pockets. The ones in teh footwells look decent, in bmw's I think this comes as standard like that, the ones in the doors are just for experimentation no idea how they will look as have not tried them yet want to get relay sorted first.

[ QUOTE ]
Why?????Neons!!!!! on a Audi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why indeed. Leave neons alone please?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

He's not on about exterior neons guys which would look Rank. He's on about foot well ones.

Can't you just run them off the interior light supply? As I was running my interior LEDs of it.

Are you sure it's reading 10 Volts?

Let me know how you go on with them.

Yup I'm sure it's reading 10v, yes indeed interior neons. Should I tap into the interior light supply from the fusebox on the drivers side? whereabouts did you?

[ QUOTE ]
Yup I'm sure it's reading 10v, yes indeed interior neons. Should I tap into the interior light supply from the fusebox on the drivers side? whereabouts did you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I taped straight into the wires coming from the interior light. You just have to remember that they stay on for 20 seconds when the door closes.

I've tried look at the loom on the fuse box and it's a bit wierd the no.14 is for the interior lights and stuff and it's constantly at 14v even when teh lights are off, what voltage are you getting from teh door light when on and off MarkB?

gay.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
gay.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I've tried look at the loom on the fuse box and it's a bit wierd the no.14 is for the interior lights and stuff and it's constantly at 14v even when teh lights are off, what voltage are you getting from teh door light when on and off MarkB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not had a multimeter on the leads so I couldn't tell you I am affraid.

Let me know how you get on though.

Drysdale

No need

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt the switched voltage appears at the fusebox.
You would have to take the voltage from the switch.

The only way i can imagine this looking reasonable is if it was the same colour glow as the dash lighting i.e. RED in mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I've Red LED's in my footwells

Yes Red. And they do look neat not Max Power mess.