Part ID Please

Nyteryda

Nyteryda
Reaction score
Hello, recently been having some stuttering and hesitation problems around 4krpm especially under load .. Had suggestions of spark plugs, pcv system leakage etc but after hours of searching and reading I decided to unplug one of the sensors and now the car is driving perfectly with no sign of the aforementioned problems at all. I obviously dont want to leave it like his so would like confirmation if possible of the part name and what it does so I can replace it. The part/sensor in question is highlighted by the red ring on the pic, cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the VVT unit... that isn't a sensor but is part of the emissions setup and is used as part of the warm up procedure... unpluggin this will not really do much more than throw a fault code and eventually a CEL...

If you haven't already your first call would be to scan for fault codes... secondly (if you haven't already) check the plug gaps... 0.8mm std and 0.7mm on a mapped car... the symptoms you describe sound like a failing coil pack...

I see you have a Forge Split R valve... they are the scourge of the devil and should be banished imo ;P get it changed for a 007p and get rid of the airleak they provide...

<tuffty/>

hi, i just got the pic of google, not actually my car .. I have scanned and got p0012, i have been able to reset it up until the point i disconnected the terminal and now, as its disconnected, the fault p0012 cannot be reset. As I said originally, before I unplugged the highlighted terminal the car was really jerky in first gear and in the higher gears had stuttering/power loss issues under load.. Now it is unplugged all of these symptoms have literally gone and it pulls through the rev range without any issues at all. Please correct me if I am wrong but surely if the spark plugs or coil packs were at fault then the car would be running the same way before and after this 'sensor' was disconnected ?

I assume you got this fault code?

"16396/P0012/000018 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached (Over-Retarded)"

(16396/P0012/000018 - Ross-Tech Wiki)

So are you saying you had this fault code prior to unplugging the VVT? if thats correct then your VVT tensioner is the issue here and sounds like it needs replacing... if the code only came up after unplugging then plugging the unit back in should allow you to clear this and it shouldn't come back... if it does then as above the VVT tensioner is faulty and will need to be replaced...

One last thing... not had any work done on the engine recently? cam belt or anything requiring the rocker cover to be removed or cams taken out etc?

<tuffty/>

yes got the fault code prior to unplugging .. have also had p0011 before and get p0340 on a regular basis.. Have been reading everything i can about the vvt and it seems a fair few people leave it unplugged with no ill effects, it seems some also change the vvt tensioner for a non-vvt tensioner as it has the same mounting points and a lot less expensive.

and no work done recently .. the last thing i did was install a rmr intake mani but it was running fine for ages before this problem