Aesthetic Tuning Help

chrisbron

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I've basically had my A3 S-Line 2.0 TFSI Hatchback since September '10 and wondered if anyone can give me any suggestions on what I can do to make her look better (inside or outside).

Frankly, I'm looking for it to look 'smooth', not like any other car. You know, sleek, elegant and classy.

The thing is, I'm a first time driver with no NCB so insurance is a mother! I wondered how far I could push my mods without having to pay extra insurance (apparently I have to declare any mods to the insurance company?).

I was thinking about adding the xenon lights to it, as it's styled to the black package but without the xenon lights at the moment...

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

I'm currently planning on adding an iPod dock, as per the guides on the forums.

Sorry for the dirty pics, I had no time at all to clean her in the past month :(

IMG_0652.png

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

I'm considering the black mirror housing :)

I like the Audi rings the way they are at the moment, adds a nice contrast (personal preference)

Doesn't lowering it have to be declared with insurance --> increased insurance costs?

Also, why do people debadge their cars?

because it gives that smooth look your going for! mine is identical to yours apart from being a 1.6l mine was debadged out the factory apart from the audi rings. de wiper too!

No theres loads of cars without a rear wiper the tt for one and most coupes

heres mine debadged still with wiper though

It looks nice without the badges, but frankly, I think I want to keep the wipers- where I live I need to navigate a lot of tight gaps in reverse- so they come in handy :)

Fair play I've kept mine for the same reason otherwise it would be off! de-badge is the way forward I'm tempted to remove the rings too. some of the other guys on the forum already have

nah factory option but you can do it with a hair dryer and dental floss lol

Or a warm day and the floss works pretty good if you've no garage and don't wanna look like a numpty hairdrying your a3 in the street lol.

That's a nice car though, black mirrors would look pretty and a nice few cm's lower should be just the ticket, well for starters that is :eyebrows: if you stay around here long enough we may well be able to spend all your hard earned cash on that lovely motor, haha....

When you say xenon's do you mean the OEM (Audi) ones? These can be bought for about £500 second hand but you need to fit headlight washers and level sensors to be totally legal. This will add a substantial chunk of change larger than the initial investment on the xenons to the total cost of the retrofit. Unless you just fit the xenons alone and then do other bits afterwards, no mean feat though and best left to someone who knows there way around an Audi (cough cough NHN, Hazzydayz et-al).

Good luck and keep us posted on your mods lad

Last edited:
I dont think they have the right picture on that air filter add. the small ones are ok.
A panel filter is good but will not make any difference to power.
A lot depends on how long you are going to keep the car ? Money spent on mods is money down the drain if you are expecting to get it back when you sell.
If you want to mod it a bit why not spend your cash on practical things of use like cruise and a RNSE ? which might enhance the value and will not effect the insurance.
Its a personal thing but if you are going to chop a car about i wouldnt do it to a brand new one ....Unless your stinking rich in which case it dosent matter :)

Nice car mate. Agree about the air filter. Doesn't make any noticeable difference.

Subtle and oem(ish) is the name of the game with audi and vw brands so you've got the right idea. Looks wise, for now, I would change those centre wheel caps to black ones(look on ebay there's some sets on there), give it a good clean and polish and post some more pics up:icon_thumright:

I dont think they have the right picture on that air filter add. the small ones are ok.
A panel filter is good but will not make any difference to power.
A lot depends on how long you are going to keep the car ? Money spent on mods is money down the drain if you are expecting to get it back when you sell.
If you want to mod it a bit why not spend your cash on practical things of use like cruise and a RNSE ? which might enhance the value and will not effect the insurance.
Its a personal thing but if you are going to chop a car about i wouldnt do it to a brand new one ....Unless your stinking rich in which case it dosent matter :)

Agree with Paddy here. your car looks good enough. Yes the black mirrors would give it a lovely touch and a little lowering would give it that edge, but other than that maybe think about some factory options that you could add to increase the car value (RNS-E, Cruise, Parking sensors, interior light pack if you don't have it already, Chrome S3 pedals and gear knob??)

If you want to chuck some money about and make it look smooth, talk to a bodyshop about smoothing the bump strips off the side of the car. Also the s-line badges on the wings (where indicators are on earlier models) need to go. Perhaps consider upgrading the radio to an RNS-E variant.

Or if you're skint, just change the tax disk holder.