Bit of a worry

biscuitthief

Reaction score
I've recently bought a 2002 A4 Quattro 2.5 tdi.
Just noticed today that when I switch my ignition on, the check engine light does not light up, and now I am quite worried that somebody has removed the bulb!
Can anybody tell me wether it should light up or not?
Is there a way I can safely make the light come on to make sure the bulb is there?
Many thanks in advance
Chris :unsure:

Should come on with the ignition on

Uh Oh!
Is there any way to check there is a bulb there without taking the clocks out?

Do the rest work/Can you use the check button OK? I think they are leds.Mine just shows O K

Yes the rest of the lights work, glowplugs etc. My DIS also works, as does the check function. It's just worrying that my engine light does not light up. I have unplugged my MAF and started the car, and on idle it still does not light up.
I think I may be in trouble here. Any suggestions?

Sorry. By check engine light, I mean the light shaped like an engine.
Engine management light

Last edited:
Just looking through my manual, and all the other lights for abs, glow plugs etc state that they light up when the ignition is switched on, but it does not say that for the engine management light.
Embarrassingly, it looks like I am crapping myself for no reason.

Sorry. By check engine light, I mean the light shaped like an engine.
Engine management light

The orange one shaped like a car with a key underneath it?

Mines comes on for a couple of seconds with the ignition and then goes out.

Nope. that one lights up for me. I think I am just being a **** to be honest.
The engine management light is the top left light in my cluster

I dont think they come on with the audi ( a lot of cars do thou )
i know my old quattro one never used to unless there is an actual fault
i will have a look tomorrow and see
unless someone else does first .

That would be brilliant, thankyou :sm4:
I love getting a new (to me) car, but always spend the first month or so waiting for it to blow up lol

That would be brilliant, thankyou :sm4:
I love getting a new (to me) car, but always spend the first month or so waiting for it to blow up lol
Just went out and no mine doesnt come on
so relax and enjoy the car :)

Fantastic! Thanks so much you guys.
You have just saved me from a sleepless night :beerchug:

but always spend the first month or so waiting for it to blow up lol

I know exactly how you feel. I probably spend lots of money changing stuff just so it doesn't, even tho it more than likely doesn't need changing.

It's not just me then. I've been exactly the same with most of the cars I've had.

Hmmmm....are you all sure? I'm pretty certain it should illuminate when you turn on the ignition. I don't mean start the engine, just when you turn the key to the first point. All the dash board lights come on, including the EML. Have tried it on mine and it lights up and then goes out when the engine starts. Don't know if it differs depending on age and fuel type maybe? Mine is an 02 plate petrol.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works :ermm:

Mine does but mines a 1.8t so maybe different. But comes on and goes off as it does on most cars.

Perhaps one of you can take a picture of the light when it's illuminated so we know we're all talking about the same thing!

The engine shaped light next to the airbag light, top left on the cluster. Mines def comes on and goes off.

guys - that sounds like the immobiliser light: I've got a spare set of keys that's not coded and that light stays on when I try turning the engine over with the "duff" key in there.

It takes a second or two to verify the coding and turn the light off...

So far, everybody with a diesel doesn't have it come on, and everyone with a petrol does

my tdi dose not light up also losbok the one your on about is the one that looks like a car with a key in it for the immobiliser

LOL I bet you do....But it does seem to be a petrol/diesel type thing whisch is interesting :)

my tdi dose not light up also losbok the one your on about is the one that looks like a car with a key in it for the immobiliser

This is why I asked for a photo. I mentioned this earlier in the thread and it's not the engine management light.

The petrol ones probably light up as you've all got duff coil packs :p

hahaha it is funny how the petrol one do though isnt it audi do some funny things