getting more bhp intercoolers / turbo's / exhausts etc

chesh1980

Reaction score
hi there i have been researching the tunnability of of my 98 fwd agu engined t sport a3 and have a few ideas on not just trying to keep the cost low on getting those extra horses and torque but trying to get the right look and not have a car that looks ott and have a over crowded engine bay. my particular model runs the ko3 turbo which is a bit laim after 4000rpm and gets hot easily i have looked into both the ko3s which seem hard to find a proper vag version and the ko4 that are a bit easier to find and at a reasonable price. however i beleive the downpipe will need to be changed to fit the ko4 turbo and if this is the case then i might aswell look at the prospect of a t3 turbo which i beleive are capable of better bhp figures. i know the intercooler is a big problem when it comes to keeping the engine cooler and so a front mount intercooler is a must but i dont want to run alot of unnecisary pipes so have found a nissan 200sx intercooler that has both inlet and outlet on the same side which along with a forge map sensor pipe a few joiners / silicon bends and hoses could do the job nicely. unfortunatly the inlet and outlet are both 3" and will need to be reduced to 2.5" to be able to couple it to some of the existing pipework. im concerned the reduction might possibly affect the boost though and wondering if anybody is running a similar setup ?. i plan to run a piper x pannel filter rather than a induction kit that would just have troubles breathing in a hot engine bay then run a decat downpipe with complete powerflow stainless system and finally get a stage 1 or 2 remap i would be happy to see the bhp around 225 to 250 bhp but having not tunned a audi engine before im interested in finding out if i might encounter any problems using the parts im planning on using and hope some of the forum users can advise me on my options. in the case the intercooler idea wont work i have been told its possible to fit the audi tt inlet which has the throttle body on the oposite side is this information correct ? as that would make a normal fmic easier to plumb in.many thanks for reading and hope somebody can help

theres no way in hell will that intercooler fit mate, its very very tight for space!! just get a fmic kit with the extra pipework and spray it black, or go for a turborevs uprated side mount.

my bigger intercooler only just fit and thats with removing the crash bar! theres just not enough room for two pipes on one side
SAM_1001.jpg

a ko4 will need new manifold, downpipe,tip and both oil and water pipes.

you can get a straight bolt on gt28rs kit for a reasonable price (around the £1600 mark) that will just bolt straight on with everything required to run 330ish bhp providing you've done the supporting mods all you need is a map, then for more power you'd need rods and high flow manifold.

just depends on your budget mate, a ko3s will get you 230 max with all the right mods

thanks for your reply as i said its my first attempt at a audi so im trying to be different but maybe im just being too technical in the way im looking at stuff do you know if fitting the audi tt inlet is possible on the agu engine so the throttle body is facing the other side of the engine bay ? if so it would make things look a little more tidy and make it easier to fit a fmic at the same time

it'l fit but i think you might have to improvise with the throttle cable mounting/positioning as tt's are drive by wire and dont use cable throttles like the agu does. if your handy with tools im sure you could get it all on there nicely, it would be a damn sight easier/cheaper to just get a kit like mine though lol :)

im not too fussed with the cost of things m8 i like stuff to look neat and tidy rather than be running lots of unnecisary pipework i think im going to try and find a decent ko3s turbo charger if you can run about 230bhp with it then thats good enough for me its more than enough for killing type r civics n other stuff if you know where i can find a decent ko3s that would be great ive tried ebay but only aftermarket 1s on there which im unsure of buying

if you can hold on a few weeks, mines coming off and being replaced with one a little bit bigger :)

it holds 22psi no problem at all and spools/pulls very very strong :)