Front anti roll bar advice please.

Steveo_A3_1.8t

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got the usual problem of the offside (and sometimes nearside!) driveshaft hitting the ARB.

Now, I already have shortened drop links and I'm looking at the FK ARB with extended hoops, and was wondering if this is the one to go for?? Or is the ARB that goes under the driveshafts better??

Also if anybody has any info on the later please share it with me cos I can't find it on the web.

Cheers guys

Steve

mk1 audi TT arb. £45 s/hand off ebay, use existing drop links. job done. works a treat on mine and cheap. do a search for 'clunking'

mk1 audi TT arb. £45 s/hand off ebay, use existing drop links. job done. works a treat on mine and cheap. do a search for 'clunking'

Nice one mate, can't find any on fleabay at the mo thou, how is the TT one different then, have you any pics?? I'm just curious

Cheers

Steve

can get a new tt one from TPS or equivilent for £70ish.

u also have whiteline and eibach which do them but they arent as cheap.

I went for the eibach and it works great.

I think I have an uprated eibach one on there already. Well I'm assuming is eibach as it's red and 25mm??
It came with car. Also how low are you mate??

Last edited:
I've got KW ones on my car, pricey though.

I think I have an uprated eibach one on there already. Well I'm assuming is eibach as it's red and 25mm??
It came with car. Also how low are you mate??

yeh thats the one eibach 25mm. Not sure how low i am tbh. back is all the way down but the front has plenty left. i raised the front slightly before fitting the new arb and still havent got around to bringing it down again lol.

i often car share atm so im keeping it where it is. When that stops ill bring it down a bit more at the front :D

yeh thats the one eibach 25mm. Not sure how low i am tbh. back is all the way down but the front has plenty left. i raised the front slightly before fitting the new arb and still havent got around to bringing it down again lol.

i often car share atm so im keeping it where it is. When that stops ill bring it down a bit more at the front :D

Yeah I assumed it was, and the 'hoops' on it aren't big enough. The FK ARB looks to hav much bigger hoops. As mine still rubs badly on full r/h lock and knocks on bumps in a straight line.
I'm also on JOM coilovers but I kept my old FK rear springs as it goes lower than the JOM springs.
There ok for the money but personally if I didn't hav the luxury of having the FK springs laying about I wouldn't of been happy with the rear ride height. Fronts have plenty of adjustment thou.

Does the Mk1 TT ARB go under the drive shafts do you know??

Cheers

Steve

hmm i think it does. Bhavin will know he done his just last month. urs must be mega low then man!

Yeah I assumed it was, and the 'hoops' on it aren't big enough. The FK ARB looks to hav much bigger hoops. As mine still rubs badly on full r/h lock and knocks on bumps in a straight line.

just a thought. is it hitting the chassis?

Chassis Notchin' - RMS

search mk4 golf chassis notch. you would have to be very low for it to be the problem though. worth looking at mind....

Sorry mate I was confused, thought you meant the ARB hitting the chassis.lol no it isn't hitting the chassis, well there no evidence of contact between the two on the shaft or chassis.
You must hav to go really low to need a chassis notch!!

Thanks for all your help guys, just one more question. Has anybody got part no for mk1 TT ARB??

Cheers

Steve

I've also found that people use the R32 ARB's on the mkIV golfs, would this work?? Its just there is acctualy one of these on the bay for reasonable dosh. Any info would be good.

Thanks again

Steve

read the thread i put up. tells you the differences between, a3, tt, s3 and r32.

r32 is same as tt but thicker. if you email guys breaking cars it gets cheaper. expect to pay £30-60 delivered.

hi there i had the same problem with mine i dropped it about 60mm at the front and every now and again id hear it catching so i popped to see a m8 of mine who is running a bora wit a 100mm drop on 18" rims laced with 215/35/18 tyres and has done for quite some time now to see how he got it so low. his answer was simple he purely removed the front arb all together and added a strut brace to give some extra support in its place however said it would be ok without the strut brace given the fact it was running on coilovers anyway which gave far less body roll than standard dampers and springs so there and then we cut mine off and dont ya just know it i cant see a spot of diference in handling i have no knocking and will never have any mot problems with the arb bushes all i need now is to fit 215/35/18/tyres on mine and its gonna get dropped even lower. he also told me he had tried lot of other options before removing his and it wasnt just a cowboy approach at getting it low for cheap

hi,
Thanks for all the info steve, ive done it now, picked up a TT arb for £40 and fitted yesterday. dunno what all the fuss is about really, dropped the subframe completely and it only took an hour and a half to do, BUT i dont know what Bhavin's drop links look like but the standard ones didnt fit well at all, and my shortened ones are a tad better but not ideal. im going to make new drop links so ill post some picks when ive done them.

Once again thanks for all the help

Oh, if you know of anyone who wants an eibach 25mm arb its for sale in the classifieds
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/sale-audi-parts/120359-eibach-25mm-uprated-arb-a3-8l-golf-iv-etc.html

Steve