Newbie to Detailing - Where to Start?

Ryan_W

Reaction score
I've always kept my cars in pristine condition using Meguiars and Autoglym products, however, I can appreciate that you'll never get a finish like you will with machine polishing.

Now I usually do the following:

Hose down car
2 bucket shampoo wash with mitt
Hose rinse
Clay bar (twice a year)
Dry with chamois
Apply polish with pad
Remove polish with pad

With the above, I've seen some good results, but I really want to start using machine polishers/buffers to get an ever better finish.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what to buy, how to use correctly etc?

Cheers,

Ryan

the tool most detailers/valeters is a rotary buffer as they give good results but now more and more people are going for orbital buffers as they are more safe to use for beginners , the rotary if used incorrectly will burn/mark your paint causing more damage than to start with and can cause some serious damage and are powerfull little things when i first started out i got it caught in my clothes and in a second my jumper was nearly strangling me lol funny now but when it happened it was a liitle scary lol , take a look on youtube or something to get some ideas of how to buff paintwork there is lots of video's on there dude

As Fran said pros go with rotary beginners go with da machines. I used a silverline rotary on my car last year Damm thing near busted my back, very aggressive machine to use for a first timer. So to start off with
Wash & dry
Clay & dry
Autoglym resin polish & dry
Use machine & abrasive polish( goin to use meranza myself)
Lastly decent wax.
Ps make sure & prep the car before u machine polish it.

Start how i did and go for the Dual action polisher as you are a beginner. This kit is much the same as i got DAS-6 Dual Action Polisher - Meguiars Kit

This will get you started, i use most of the meguiars range as its easy explained, theres plenty of how to videos on their website and youtube and easy to work with.

Im now looking at rotary buffers to get to the next level.

Sounds a bit silly, but I've been using sanders and angle grinders for years and I'm pretty confident with them, hence why I'm looking at getting a Makita 9227CB. Makita tools are right there at the top with regards to quality and it's only £190 delivered.

What are the main differences between the DA and rotary, is it just the power outputs? Again, new to this, so forgive my ignorance!

Ryan

The good thing about the dual action is that its not as feirce as the rotary is on the paintwork. It doesnt allow the heat build up and shear aggresiveness that can be found with the rotary, thus preventing the user from inflicting damage to the paintwork. Its a perfect tool for a beginner.

So what's the best DA to go for? I just see that it may be a waste of money if I'm going to get a rotary in the future. Paint stripping could occur, but you've got to be a bit of a div to hold the pad in the same place for it to do so...

I've got to get my head around the pads now and what sort to get.

German painted cars are known to have pretty hard paint too, so a rotary device may still be okay in my novice hands...

To be honest, don't waste your money getting a DA for you to want a rotary 6 months later because that is what will happen.

Get yourself a rotary and then get yourself down to a local scrapyard and get a scrap wing or bonnet and practise on that, try get a panel from a VAG car as its going to be similar to the paint on your car (hard paint)

After you have built up a technique and learn how the different pad and polish combos work and you feel confident then start on your car.

Rotarys are not scary or hard to use at all, im currently using a silverline rotary, abit on the heavy side and annoying that it doesn't have a trigger lock but for £40 its great .

Hope this helps.