1.8t noise Problems

AGU-TURBO

Audi a3 1.8t AGU
Reaction score
Hi all well ive noticed that my cam chain was making noises so ive started taking it apart to investigate. How much should you beable to push the tensioner down by hand. i can push mine down abit. i also have a whining noise coming from cambelt area, i have taken the alternator belt off to see if it could be anything atached to that but it isn't. i replaced the cambelt last year along with water pump and the runner (guide) so thats either oil pump, tensioner, crank, cams left.

is there a common thing on these engines that start to wear on the cambelt area?

also just taken rocker cover off and was wondering if the sludge and carbon crap was normal pics here

DSCF2453.jpg

DSCF2455.jpg

Last edited:
How many miles ? Which engine ?

The sludgy mank isnt "normal" but its not uncommon to find it there due to bad servicing.

Why did you change the cam belt and not change the tensioner?!

The sludgy mank isnt "normal" but its not uncommon to find it there due to bad servicing.

He's on about the cam chain tensioner mate, not the belt tensioner damper.

I don't think you should be able to move it by hand at all to be fair - mine doesn't budge.

Ah ok, it was just he said there was a whining from the timing belt end which threw me.

The chain tensioner from the TT engine i've just rebuilt is squidgy, but i just put that down to all the oil having drained out of it since its been sitting. I expect once its been run up and has repressurised it will be solid again.

Ah ok, it was just he said there was a whining from the timing belt end which threw me.

The chain tensioner from the TT engine i've just rebuilt is squidgy, but i just put that down to all the oil having drained out of it since its been sitting. I expect once its been run up and has repressurised it will be solid again.

I wouldn't expect one that is fitted to the car to be squidgy on removing the rocker cover. New one is in the region of £120 plus VAT for the AGU IIRC. After 120K, I'm not shocked that it may need changing. I'd get a second opinion, however the signature rattle normally indicates failure.

Thats a genuine part from Audi.

Ebay is also an option - however it seems difficult to get a non VVT one in this country.

This looks like the right one: VW & AUDI 1.8T 1.8 CAM CAMSHAFT TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER | eBay UK

I would get an OEM one personally.

thanks for the replys. ive seen the tensioner on ebay and im not to fussed on getting it from china. just spoke to audi and the want:

• timing chain £51
  • timing chain tensioner £142
  • timing chain gaskets £7.15
  • cambelt kit £97.20
  • Oil pump £129.73
ill get them ordered this week. i just need to sort this noise out from belt area. im thinking of changing oil pump, pick up pipe and getting a cam belt kit. hopfully this will sort it. im not bothered about changing the oil pump because of how much crap ive seen in the rocker cover.

Last edited:

sorry my mistake ive just checked and i did change the cambelt tensioner. ive changed the oil with castrol edge 5w40 and K&N oil filter every 6 months. so must be from before i got it. but im surprised that when i flushed it didnt shift it

Hi All,

I think i'm also on the hunt for the same noise coming from the cam belt area.

it started last week only does it when engine is hot.

I've changed cam belt, oil pump and alternator last year.
also 3 oil changes in 8K miles.

Hopefully one of us and finds it soon as i hate the engine not sounding right.

Hi All,

I think i'm also on the hunt for the same noise coming from the cam belt area.

it started last week only does it when engine is hot.

I've changed cam belt, oil pump and alternator last year.
also 3 oil changes in 8K miles.

Hopefully one of us and finds it soon as i hate the engine not sounding right.

yeh hopefully it will be sorted soon and i will let you no the problem. i hate funny noises as well,

just thought i would let you all no if you don't already that i thought the tensioner worked on like a rachet system like my old RS2000 used to be, as things wear oil preasure keeps pushing up then clicks into place so when you start you'r car in a morning you don't have a load of noise lol. Well on these there is just a big spring inside to keep tension on the chain and the oil preasure does the rest

so all in you will beable to push down on the tensioner a little with a bit of force lol. just thought i would let you no as i didn't want people to start chacking and beable to push the tensioner down a bit then think its f*cked

I have the same problem as you at the moment, have changed oil pump and pick up but still not sorted it. I can move my chain tensioner slightly too . Im sending mine to bill to sort out as soon as he is ready.

Got some more bits done today. took me about 20min to get the engine mount off from the block i ended up moving it out the way and take the pullys off and tensioner just so i had enough room to drop it out from the car. then to top it off council came round saying i had 24hr to move the car off the grass so i had to put it back on and move the car on the road what a p*ss take :banghead:. carn't wait till we get the drive done next month. anyway i will let the pics do the rest of my talking lol

DSCF2469.jpg

DSCF2470.jpg

DSCF2471.jpg

DSCF2472.jpg

DSCF2473.jpg

DSCF2474.jpg

My car looking sorry for itself lol :3sadwalk:
DSCF2475.jpg