Rear Lower Trailing/ Radius Arm possibly bent? Is it possible?

absolutes3

Reaction score
Hi, Asking questions again. I must be hated by now :yes: Anyway this is a bit more important this time, A few weeks ago the wife hit a pot hole about 50mph resulting in putting a hole in the tyre. The car has sat in the garage whilst waiting for wheels to be refurbed, New tyres and rear discs and pads.

Tonight me and my mate (both not mecanics) tryed to change all the new bits over, First side fine. Went to the other side took the wheel off and notice the disc and surrounding bit is bent in at an angle. Front of disc pointing a little towards the inside of the car.

We have measured everything and it is out a little but cant be certain what the problem is but there is the smallest of kinks on the lower radius arm. Is this possible? Are these not solid and impossible to bend? Has anyone else had a problem like this or suggest whatelse it might be? More importantly is this gonna be expensive?

Any advice please?

Last edited:
Its certainly possible but unlikely, the guard around the disc can bend easily is this rear or front?

Sorry this is rear, Yeh i know what you mean with the thin guard but this does seem like the whole lot is bent. Could it be anything else if not the trailing arm?

Any more thoughts on this? I really cant see whats bent. The trailing arm does feel different on each side but its hard as i have to feel one side then the other.

Nobody had one of these bend or something else it might be?

photos would help. the disc shields are often bent when people remove wheels and stuff.

a kink in anything structural sounds pretty worrying to me

What car is it? are you on about the tie arms?

Its a 8l s3, No i dont think its the tie bars. These are a few pics i took at the time, I know there not very good.

photos would help. the disc shields are often bent when people remove wheels and stuff.

a kink in anything structural sounds pretty worrying to me

Heres some pics mate, Its not just the disc guard that looks out of place, Its the whole hub, disc etc that look a wee bit out of place.

Passenger side which looks straight (taken from rear of the car)
s3003.jpg

Drivers side taken from similar angle
s3008.jpg

This is the part where it feels like it might be kinked but hard to tell
s3004.jpg

s3006.jpg

s3002.jpg

mmm. i'd be suprised if you bent that! you'd have shattered bearing and all sorts else if it had.

Agreed, ^^ it would have smashed your alloys to bits if that got bent, the tiebars would have gone first, are you sure there not bent as these would alter the angle..

I was told it was not the tie bars, I will have to get someone else to check then if this is not possible to bend one of these. So you think it may be the tie bars?

Could it be the bushes at the top of the tie bars?

Last edited: