Installing Retrofit Sat Nav

TDIMad

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a 2009 A3 2.0TDI 3 door and was looking into fitting an OEM Audi Sar Nav.

Can someone advise me on what additional parts (if any) are required besides the sat nav unit itself please?

Also where would be a good place to buy all the above stuff.

Cheers in Advance.

just stereo removal keys, they are £1.50 on ebay:p. Then a bit of coding and aerial setting up. Job done. Unless you are single DIN which I believe you're not.

M

Thanks for that.

Not sure about the DIN at the moment but will upload a picture here this evening.

Thanks again.

Hi TDIMad, i did this a couple of weeks ago. like RedDejavu said you will need removal keys, but will also need GPS antena and aerial adaptor and a RNS-e Adaptor to convert your existing stereo wiring. the GPS antena usually comes with the RNS-e unit from ebay.You will also need to do a bit of coding using VCDs.

Just to note i think the aerial amplifier will to need to be changed in 2009 models otherwise it would throw up fault..not sure what needs changing as i didnt need to as i have 2006 car. I'm sure someone else on here will come along shortly and help u out on this issue.

Sounds like good advice. I couldn't work out how to attach a photo but my stereo is an audi chorus if that helps with the DIN?! In regards to the gps antenna, I think I've seen internal and external options. Where would the internal one go? Cheers again guys

Initially i put my GPS antena just above the glovebox and was recieving 6-7 satellites. I then moved it to behind the instrument cluster and hey presto i got 7-8 satellites which is full strength. Yeh i stayed well clear of exterior antena as i didnt wanna drill holes in my car, wasnt really a option for me.

If the car is a 2009 facelift then it will be double din so straight swap...

Hi TDIMad, i did this a couple of weeks ago. like RedDejavu said you will need removal keys, but will also need GPS antena and aerial adaptor and a RNS-e Adaptor to convert your existing stereo wiring. the GPS antena usually comes with the RNS-e unit from ebay.You will also need to do a bit of coding using VCDs.

Just to note i think the aerial amplifier will to need to be changed in 2009 models otherwise it would throw up fault..not sure what needs changing as i didnt need to as i have 2006 car. I'm sure someone else on here will come along shortly and help u out on this issue.

All depends on what kind of stereo you've got fitted, sometimes you dont need adaptor for Rns-e stereo, best thing is to take out old stereo and check:p.

How much does this all cost? including some one fitting the different bit's..

Hi guys,

Im going for the internal antenna as i dont fancy drilling my roof either!

Thanks for all your hel, it greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Amplifier parts cost around £150 from dealers, all work is carried out inside the boot trim -- I did the work on a fellow members 2007 S3 after he lost all radio signal.

The simple way to tell if the problem "may" affect you is if you have a Quadlock connector already installed in your car, and you don't require the use of the RNS-E Plug&Play adapter then you may be affected. The Quadlock connector came about in the newer generation of radios, around 2007 onwards.

I say "may" as some people have reported little or no loss of radio -- kind of a hit and miss. But you will get the error in VCDS, which iirc is the ZF Earth fault, can't remember off the top of my head.

£400-£450 tops for before 2010 unit, and £650-700 for 2010 onwards.

Not to expensive to get it fitted then, as most of the a3/s3's i've been looking at don't have a sat nav built it.

Amplifier parts cost around £150 from dealers, all work is carried out inside the boot trim -- I did the work on a fellow members 2007 S3 after he lost all radio signal.

The simple way to tell if the problem "may" affect you is if you have a Quadlock connector already installed in your car, and you don't require the use of the RNS-E Plug&Play adapter then you may be affected. The Quadlock connector came about in the newer generation of radios, around 2007 onwards.

I say "may" as some people have reported little or no loss of radio -- kind of a hit and miss. But you will get the error in VCDS, which iirc is the ZF Earth fault, can't remember off the top of my head.

Thank's mate were about are you located? would you be able to fit mind when i get my audi?

£400-£450 tops for before 2010 unit, and £650-700 for 2010 onwards.

How do you know if it's a 2010 onwards? I know some have chrome dials but I have seen some from around 2008 with chrome dials.

If it has a Media button then it's a 2010 Mk2 unit, if the button is marked as CD/TV, then it's the earlier unit.

The main differences are a faster processor, better screen and the ability to use SDHC cards on the newer unit

Hi Guys,

Just a final bit of help if you would please?!

Does anyone know of any links or guides to do this please?

I fitted the audi iPod glovebox kit over the weekend without hitch but just want to get it right with the sat nav!

Cheers again

Loads of guides available - Google is your friend!

Try RNS-E Retrofit as a search