Radio has to be turned on Manually...

jfow

Reaction score
Orite folks,

My radio doesnt come on when the ignition does, i have to turn it on by hand, and it goes off after an hour, i understand this will be one of the wires not linked up to the ignition, and the wires in the back have certainly been tampered with, i was just wondering if anyone had an idea of which colour wire i need to be working with?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Don't know which wire mate - sorry - but whatever happens it will always switch off after an hour.

It's a battery saving feature that's built into system and can't be changed.

Cheers anyway mate.

Thats abit annoying, i do alot of motorway driving and it always cuts off, annoys the hell out of me!!

Cheers anyway mate.

Thats abit annoying, i do alot of motorway driving and it always cuts off, annoys the hell out of me!!

Sorry mate - as you were !!

Didn't realise you meant it cuts out whilst you're driving ! No, it only does that if you're sitting in it with the ignition off.

Must be the missing connection which I'm afraid I can't help you with

It shouldn't switch off an hour when the engines running, the hour thing is when you turn the radio on without the engine running. Sounds like lose connection on the ignition feed, so it's not picking up a signal from the ignition to tell it the engines running hence the turning off after an hour and having to manually turn it on

Last edited:
I would drag her out & see if some wires have been cut/moved, if so just match the wires up again with some soldered joints, as havnt seen the wiring atm then can only offer limited advice, any pics?

Ill get a pic uploaded this afternoon pal, and yeh i think thats on the cards.

ive had it out before and you could clearly see wires had been tampered with but didnt have time to look further..

Not sure but doesnt the canbus tell the radio that the ignition is on and engine running? if so then i would check the CAN H & CAN L wires at the back of the unit to see if they are loose or been tampered with.

Which ones are those mate?

Ive just had the radio out and 2 of the wires, (fairly thick red ones) have had the insullation stripped back but the main wiring has not been affected, and everything else looks ok...

i took some pics but my phone is playing up..

not sure mate, check the label on the radio as it should have a diagram telling you what pins are which.

First thing to check is the CAN bus wires. Do you have MFSW, and if so are the wheels working to control track / volume? If so, then CAN is fine.

Had this issue on my RNS-E. CAN was fine, but the unit thought it was in an A4 - you need to get it hooked up to VCDS, and make sure it thinks its in an A3. If it thinks its in anything else, it won't turn on / off with the car, and will turn itself off as you have noticed.

Yeh mate it still controls volume/tracks so that could be it...

Thick ones were probably a pickup for the +/- wires to something else, can wires are thin .5mm & the radios wire label on top will clearly advise where they are connected, also give it a scan to see if it shows any errors as yeah can should turn it on/off with ignition.

Still need pics aswell.

Sorry mate my data wire is playing up on the phone so i cant get a pic uploaded untill the new wire arrives.

The can wires were in the right slots after checking this weekend, and they werent loose.

How do i give it a scan?

Cheers

If you can find someone with VCDS they will be able to read (scan) the fault codes - I'm 99% sure its a model coding thing though.