S3 vs S2000.....

jediS3

Reaction score
Hi all.....
Just a quick debate with a pal of mine.... Wot would you think would be the quicker between a Remapped(mine Revo) S3 or a stanard Honda S2000(brand new model)

My pal is thinking of gettin one, so obviously the banter has started..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

would have to agree with pontio the honda for sure as long as its dry.

cheers tony

My bros got a 2001 S2000 and I haven't had a drag race with him (yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), but we've both driven each others cars and the s2000 has the legs on a standard S3, but I reckon it'd be even if chipped.

I think I may visit AMD and forget to tell before I race him...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

I reckon the S2000 mate, as much as it saddens me. Honda is seriously quick and the paper figures are conservative to say the lest.

My previous car (280BHP/300lbft Fiat Coupe Turbo) struggled to pull a gap on a standard one in a straight line and it was at least 20BHP/10lbft up on a chipped S3 AND 100Kg lighter.

A chipped S3 feels slow at 100+ too (well compared to the coupe anyway), S2000 keeps on pulling.

Reckon an S3 would need 300BHP to put a gap between them personally.

Adam

Bear in mind the 2 cars are designed for different purposes!

The S2000 is a sports car, and therefore has good power and decent handling.

The S3, in standard form is NOT a quick car.

Yes, they are very different cars. The S2000 is very raw and is an entirely different package.

My mate has an S2000 and going from that into the S3 is like night and day. They both drive very differently - the S3 having loads of torque at relatively low revs, while you need to rev the guts off the honda VTEC for similar pull. The problem is, once you get the VTEC revs up there, it is very quick indeed.

The S2000 is definitely the quicker car - just plain and simple power-to-weight.

I would say the S2000 is very tail happy and has to be treated with a lot of respect if driving it. The S3 would probably gain a bit in the cornering stakes. Been in a few scary rear-end action moments in the S2000!!!

I sat in one for the first time at the motor show last year. I'm 6'2" (tall not wide!) and couldn't believe how cramped it felt, I literally had to prize myself out.
Put me off it immediately.

The S2000 is marginally quicker than a standare 225 S3. They are quick but not that quick. A chipped S3 would have one on fast roads. They are only 237bhp remember and only really shift once vtec engages at 5750 rpm - 8750rpm so if you catch one in the wrong gear it will be over before it starts. Drive one they are hard work and tiring to drive fast, but some people like that - makes them feel like they are a better driver.

They would kill S3's on the track though.

I would have thought that a chipped S3 would beat one on a straight road, but not around a track.

Just my opinion.

Rich.

S2000 is also marginally lighter (1240Kg vs ~1400Kg) and a chipped S3 is prob around 260BHP. Car in general is more suited to high speeds (high revving/gear ratios). I reckon even to 80-90, then the S2000 will pull away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

A

Agrees that S2000 will be faster than S3 but how about the long run?

I doubt that S2000 can keep the rev at 9000 rpm for a long period while S3 should be more relax with 5000-6000 rpm. I mean that S3 should have more reliability on the engine because of the low Rev. Do I get it wrong here? Can someone confirm in this point? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

i think S2000, my m8 has one, and i had to hold on, but then again never been in a S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Here we go again with the BHP thing, no doubt the S2000 is a fine car with a great engine, but it does lack torque, so where a 'chipped' S3 loses out on power, it gains with supreme torque. I would say they are about evens in a straight line(in the dry), but around the twisty stuff, it would depend on the weather, and how hard you are willing to push. So my conclusion of it being dependant on the drivers ability holds haha. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Also, looking outside, I'm not sure an S2000 would want to keep up with my S3 in this weather. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif - Flamesuit on.

[ QUOTE ]
monty77 said:

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

how long before Rich shows his face on this post! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
leespears1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
monty77 said:

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

how long before Rich shows his face on this post! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me? nah... cant be bothered /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If pushed hard, the S2000 will oversteer, whilst the S3 will understeer.
Niether ideal.

If in the hands of a good driver, I'd put the S2000 ahead on a dry day or track...on a wet day on real roads...the S3 would be easier to drive quickly....but for ultimate pace...I doub't there'd be much in it.
The S3 is the easier car to drive...

The S2000 will rev at the rev limit all day long...and not blow up...

Let's not forget...a S2000 has arguably better balance and handling than an Integra Type R...and a well driven ITR will hump a standard S3 wet or dry!
It therefore follows that a well driven, especially a late, S2000 WILL have the advantage over an S3 if as equally well driven.

If the S3 had some real suspension fitted...things may be different...but a chipped S3 is still an ill handling barge - albeit one that's pretty quick in a straight line.

I was on track at the same time as a S2000 at Bedford Autodrome last summer (I have a chipped S3) - I couldnt pull anything on the S2000 on the long straight at Bedford...It was a hot day so I guess the turbo car wasn't giving max power but the S2000 seemed quick to me.

Dunc

My house mate has an s2000 and in a straignt line there is hardly anything in it (chipped s3). In the wet the s2000 is very hard to drive quick and my s3 p*sses all over it but in the dry the s2000 is definatly quicker round the corners. The s2000 is definatly more fun to drive but can catch you out in the wet.

As previously stated though they are completely different cars.

I've known people with S2000's and have an S3 myself and you can debate the BHP, who's fastest thing for ages. You'll probably find the S2000 comes out the fastest.

But, the real difference is that they are actually completely different cars to drive. Both people who'd had S2000's had taken them off the road (not through choice). The S2000's are definately wilder to drive.

Best thing to do would be to try and drive each for a day and feel the difference between them.

Roy.

I have had both of these cars, twice each. S3, then S2000, S3 then S2000!

I can honestly say that a standard S3 would not be as quick in a line as the S2000.

However my last S3 which ran at 280bhp wiped the floor with the S2000, on straights and thru lanes. The thing is the S2000 isn't the easiest of cars to get off the line, and the S3 has two advantages. 1 - Its 4wd. 2 - Its a turbo. As a result it can set off quicker and gain an advantage straight away. The S2000 is a cracking car, but is not all that good. I prefer the S3 and thats from experience

[ QUOTE ]
ianhg said:
at the end of the day, ul feel more refreshed on a long journey in an s3 than an s2000 imo

[/ QUOTE ]

True...
But when you actually want to drive the damn thing...the S3 runs out of ideas.
The S2000 is not the easiest car to drive quickly...but at least it thrills...something the S3 could never be accused of doing.