clutch and cambelt charges

speedy lynn

Reaction score
Hi lads can anyone tell me the cost of a full clutch replacment and cambelt change, my standard s3 has done 84000 miles it had cambelt changed twice by the previous owner she changed the belt at 22000 and again at 46000 with FSH but does not mention clutch I wanted a guide price if I go to a garage they always seem to try and rip you off, or do they do it to the guys as well thanks, LYNN

Cambelt at 22 and 46k? That was pretty keen!

I'd say at a regular local garage about £250-300 for the belt if they change tensioner/damper/water pump and about £600 for a clutch.

Is your clutch slipping? It's not something people tend to replace until it starts to slip - and even then you can still drive the car ok (you just can't floor it). So I'd wait until you need to do the clutch as you could be wasting your money.

Cambelt is obviously different and people tend to replace every 40 - 50k or 4 - 5 years. Prices David quotes above are spot on.

Is your clutch slipping? It's not something people tend to replace until it starts to slip - and even then you can still drive the car ok (you just can't floor it).
Like mine :( Have to accelerate like an old man.

My clutch went about 12months ago, as mentioned above there is no point changing it unless you know it is on it's way out, I would imagine they are normally good for 100k+.
You'll know if the clutch is going as it will start to slip at motorway speeds, accelerating from 50/60 in 5th/6th then gradually it will get worse. Once it is slipping at low speeds it's really time to get it sorted before it lets you down.