S3 MPG Help?

adcooper

Audi A6 C6 Avant 3.0tdi Le Mans S-Line
Reaction score
Just been to fill up with shell optimax and decided to work out the MPG, 25.1mpg is that about what everyone else gets cus i have really been granny shifting it?

That is around town but i was a bit shocked thought it would be around 30mpg, my Clio 172 used to do 33mpg on optimax even when i gave it some beans fron time to time? Is there anything wrong with my S3 or is this what everyone else is getting?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Haven't a clue what "granny shifting" means but if you mean driving it hard then I would expect 25 MPG.

I use my S3 mainly for the 7 mile drive to work and back, half the journey is urban, with one short dual carriageway en route for picking up a bit of speed.

I am getting about 29 MPG under these conditions.

On a restrained motorway drive (70-80mph) I get up to 35 MPG.

I have tried Optimax but don't really notice any difference so use standard 95 unleaded.

Cheers.

Granny shifting means not driving it hard at all, normally change gear well before 3k.

The S3's fuel consumption is more to do with how much boost you use rather than RPM.

You could drive all day between 2and3k using loads of boost and get worse MPG than if you drove up to 5krpm but on part throttle with little boost pressure.

Lets put it this way, i can not press the pedal any softer or slower. Just worried as from searches on the net most people say 30mpg and between 300 - 350 miles to the tank?

Lets not forget that the S3 is a heavy car, so quite heavy on the juice with city driving. Since my remap, I get between 24-26mpg per tank with brim to brim figures driving around town, this has gone upto 33mpg driving mainly on motorways - I have 19" wheels aswell, which doesnt help - still respectable mpg for the performance though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I also traded my clio 172 in for an S3 before Christmas and was getting 30+ mpg from the clio no matter how hard I drove it. The S3 is currently showing 26mpg and I just about manage 300 miles from a tank doing a mixture of motorway and town driving. Only been putting optimax in it so far, but i think i'll see how it goes with regular unleaded.

So is 25mpg ok for a 2003 with 1,200 miles on the clock with a light right foot driver? Also do you think optimax makes any differance?

Hang on hang on...

I have been concerned about this.

People say they have "worked out" their MPG. By this, do you mean that you have actually calculated it in some way or is that the showing on the car's computer?

My car computer usually says I have done 20-22 MPG. Am I actually getting more?

The computer is telling me 26.3mpg and i've calculated it myself and come up with around that sort of figure, so I think its probably fairly accurate.

From what I'm getting I would think that 25mpg is OK, I've found that the mpg on the S3 seems to be more affected by town driving than any of the cars I've had before.

Cheers for any more advice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The DIS says 29mpg, i worked my figure out.

Petrol put in litres, divide to get gallons then divide the miles by the gallon figure worked out first.

Does DIS normally under estimate or over?

Just to add to this.
Above 60 in 6th cruising, motorway and dual carriage-way. i get 28-33.
but on my commute to work i'm lucky if i get 25 if i drive normally.
I have noticed though that if i drive at 35 in 4th i get significantly less than if i stick her into 5th. But i'm not sure if this is healthy or a strain on the engine.
i use optimax on an unmodded 2001 s3.
The DIS in my 3 tanks so far has been pretty accurate.

My DIS is definitely inaccurate, always over estimates(currently reading 27.8mpg), and even worse since the remap... I'm getting more mpg since having the remap though, so more power and better mpg, what more could you ask for!

I am by no means a hard driver and i only get 22 - 23 mpg using Optimax. The computer states that i'm getting 26 - 27 mpg. I'm not overly impressed with it's economy but i guess that's the price to pay for performance.... Incidently my previous car (a BMW 330ci Sport) used to return 33 mpg on average.....

Thanks for the replys people i will not be taking it to the dealers yet then!!!!!!!!!

I usually get about 30/33 travelling, mostly on B roads, to and from work, with a mixture of 'granny shifting' and hard driving.

I also use Optimax and have from new. I tried a tank of normal fuel a couple of weeks before xmas and was surprised by the difference I noticed, so went back to Optimax.

I'd have thought that 25 seems quite low, even in urban conditions??

Is that the figure from DIS or your own workings out?

Ad if your driving is entirely around town then I reckon 25 is correct. Particularly if you are stop-start and the engine is not getting chance to warm through properly. Sitting in traffic with the engine running will kill your MPG.

Take the S3 out on a sedate motorway journey and you really should get 32-34 I reckon.

When I first got my S3 I was watching the petrol gauge non-stop, worried that it was burning too much fuel - a natural reaction as my old car had higher MPG. With my journeys I get 310-340 miles from a tank and don't worry about the gauge or DIS.

Overall I think the S3 is excellent value for money in MPG. Cars like the Impreza and Evo have much lower MPG.

I know the BMW 330 has much higher MPG - amazing considering it's a 3 litre!

I know what you mean looking at the DIS and gauge suppose its just that its new for me, anyway thanks again i am not worried now.

I may also be able to get afew more MPG when its been run in for a few more miles!!!!!!

Adam

I average around 25 MPG with stop-start driving.
I've not had the car long but have not yet reached 300 miles on a full tank. Filled up with optimax this time and watching closely..... Suppose it all depends on the driver and the type of roads driven.

I also think the MPG is good on the S3 considering the likes of the Impreza and Evo figures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

no matter how hard or slow i drive the car i cannot get it over 25.1 mpg... wose case is 24.8... I dunno how you guys are getting 30+... i drove 3hours on the motorway over xams and didnt really go over 80 and still no difference...Strange!?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

i always get over 300 miles to a tank but im mostly doing 50-70 mph when traveling to and from work. Some hard driving some cruising. The annoying read out on the dis is the distance left alway starts at 400 ish when i fill up but ive only ever had 340 out of a tank u would think it would know by now lol. Oh and i always use optimax.

using optimax i get 24.2 mpg measured between fill-ups since the mtm conversion (the DIS showed 26).

not bad for mixed hooligan driving with 340hp

My car must have serious problems or I am a seriously mad driver (I am known to floor it on the rare occasion but nothing too bad!)! 21mpg?!

just to say i average between 26.1 to 27.1 in me monster . But about Optimax , ive been running it on normal 95 RON unleaded for a while and for the last couple of tanks moved to optimax and have noticed quite a difference , seems to be a lot more perkier and responsive .

I am only on the 3rd tank of optimax the car seams to be ajusting slowly. Think the owner before used normal RON 95. At least its only had two tanks of it thou!!!!!!!!!!11

i get 27mpg when i take it really easy but normaly average about 23/24mpg

For another reference point ...

I get 25-26mpg from my A3 1.8T quattro with AMD remap