MFSW Help?

Ok Marnie - I have essentially the same as you except mine isn't dsg. The fact that your wheel says 'S Line' is irrelevant to the question.

If you want a FBMFSW with DSG paddles you need :-

The wheel including suitable airbag. Yours will NOT fit fbmfsw.

Steering control module as listed on here as 1K0Steering Wheel Control Module Versions - Ross-Tech Wiki which is 'Type 2' 'Highline' 'Yes'. SW version not critical afaik.

The alternative steering control module is 8P0 953 549 F which is compatible for both mfsw, fbmfsw and CC.

CC can be fitted separately should you so wish by the addition of the new stalk and lower cowl.

All this will have to be coded using VCDS.

Come back with a supplementary question if this is not clear.

That's ok - do you now have the answers you need ?

That list is a bit confusing...
Not managed to get the correct PN... :s
If i'm not wrong

1K0-953-549-CH is the more recent i can get to my 04?

That list is a bit confusing...
Not managed to get the correct PN... :s
If i'm not wrong

1K0-953-549-CH is the more recent i can get to my 04?

Don't worry about whether it's the latest or not - it just has to have the parameters that I have described.

Your year of car will not benefit from the 'latest' version, just go for any you can get.

The list actually shows CK as the latest but CH would be fine. If you can find one !!!

Don't forget 8P0 version 'F' does everything your car can accommodate and is available from the dealers.

Don't worry about whether it's the latest or not - it just has to have the parameters that I have described.

Your year of car will not benefit from the 'latest' version, just go for any you can get.

The list actually shows CK as the latest but CH would be fine. If you can find one !!!

Don't forget 8P0 version 'F' does everything your car can accommodate and is available from the dealers.

So for my 04 A3 the CH or CK and slip ring D.

Ok thank you very much.

So for my 04 A3 the CH or CK and slip ring D.

Ok thank you very much.

If you have CC then you already have slip ring 'D'

Your car is 55 plate and will be 2006MY (most likely).

It is highly unlikely you will be able to buy CH or CK unless you find on ebay.

Latest available to do everything for your car will be 8P0 953 549 F from Audi. (£160)

This is what you want mate.....£450 from E-bay + slip ring and controller £100 from boydie on here..

wheel-1.jpg

I will be taking this off when i sell later in the year because the airbag will not work so in fairness to the next guy i will put the original wheel back on...

If you have CC then you already have slip ring 'D'

Your car is 55 plate and will be 2006MY (most likely).

It is highly unlikely you will be able to buy CH or CK unless you find on ebay.

Latest available to do everything for your car will be 8P0 953 549 F from Audi. (£160)

My car is from 11/2003... Not my 06.
The CC was retrifitted.
Found some of those on ebay.
Regarding that Fsw... Hmmm... I'll give it a go when someone tells me the airbag will work on my 04 A3...

Ok Marnie - I have essentially the same as you except mine isn't dsg. The fact that your wheel says 'S Line' is irrelevant to the question.

If you want a FBMFSW with DSG paddles you need :-

The wheel including suitable airbag. Yours will NOT fit fbmfsw.

Steering control module as listed on here as 1K0Steering Wheel Control Module Versions - Ross-Tech Wiki which is 'Type 2' 'Highline' 'Yes'. SW version not critical afaik.

The alternative steering control module is 8P0 953 549 F which is compatible for both mfsw, fbmfsw and CC.

CC can be fitted separately should you so wish by the addition of the new stalk and lower cowl.

All this will have to be coded using VCDS.

Come back with a supplementary question if this is not clear.

mike foster this helps me understand alot, so really i need the the steering control module and a FB MFSW with AIRBAG? 2 things? and coding?

mike and if i wanted to fit cruise control afterwardsit is easy enough as you say stalk and lower cowling?

mike foster this helps me understand alot, so really i need the the steering control module and a FB MFSW with AIRBAG? 2 things? and coding?

mike and if i wanted to fit cruise control afterwardsit is easy enough as you say stalk and lower cowling?

Yes basically ! fbmfsw has a round airbag so your shield shape airbag won't fit. You will have to get the two together (£500 ish ??). Steering control module number as stated.

Fitting cruise control afterwards is stalk and lower cowl. Dead easy approx £90

Good luck !

My car is from 11/2003... Not my 06.
The CC was retrifitted.
Found some of those on ebay.
Regarding that Fsw... Hmmm... I'll give it a go when someone tells me the airbag will work on my 04 A3...

Sorry micasb -that is the problem with answering two different people, with different cars, in the same thread !

Your car is 2003 MY yes ?

Can you confirm whether you have a three spoke wheel similar (shape-wise) to the one pictured in post #40

If not, then it's likely that you have a single stage airbag and airbag control module. I have read that it is possible to adapt single stage to two stage but personally I wouldn't dream of it and can offer no advice - sorry !

If you have a similar shaped wheel then the simplest way of doing what you want, bearing in mind you already have CC is to replace your control module with module no. - 8P0 953 549 F which is available from Audi.

This will then make your cc work as you say you want it to and allow you to fit mfsw at a later date.

Hope this clears up the confusion !

03 cars will have single stage, only way to get working is to upgrade to dual stage controller & wire 2 more wires to the steering wheel CU, fair few wires tbh to swap over on the controller & poxy things have different connectors aswell so its a cut, solder new repair wires on, shrink & plugin.

mike foster your a diamond :D thanks a lot but one more question do you have the exact part name and number i need so i can order this steering ECU please? thanks

mike foster your a diamond :D thanks a lot but one more question do you have the exact part name and number i need so i can order this steering ECU please? thanks

Presumably you have the wheel pictured ?

Exact info from ETKA is :-electronic module for steering column combination switch - part number 8P0 953 549 F

mike foster your a star :) thanks a lot pal i know what i need to do now but one more thing .... can you tell me exactly what the steering ecu part is called and the part number for my car please so i can order from TPS? thanks

03 cars will have single stage, only way to get working is to upgrade to dual stage controller & wire 2 more wires to the steering wheel CU, fair few wires tbh to swap over on the controller & poxy things have different connectors aswell so its a cut, solder new repair wires on, shrink & plugin.

Have you done it already?

You will need :-

1) A suitable wheel either mfsw with dsg or fbmfsw with dsg
2) A suitable airbag for the wheel you buy
3) The steering ecu part no. 8P0 953 549 F or similar 'highline' ecu with type 2 slip ring (suffix D ) and steering angle sensor. You should already have the suitable slip ring.
4) Coding with VCDS after installation.

You will also need a special spline bit to remove the steering wheel bolt, I think M12 or M16

You can look for suitable wheels and airbags on ebay. Note that the fb wheel has a different airbag from the one you have and yours will not fit. You may also have to check that the airbag you have is suitable for the mfsw you buy because there are two types.

The steering ecu is approx £160 from Audi and are like the proverbial 'rocking horse s***' on ebay.

Good luck ! :icon_thumright:

theres one on ebay now 70 bin

Also does anyone know if 1k0 953 549 AG will work ok?

Have you done it already?

Researched it all & have a module to fit ready to go.

theres one on ebay now 70 bin

If thats the 79.99 1 then its a K module I believe from the label which is no good to pre-09/10 cars

Also does anyone know if 1k0 953 549 AG will work ok?

I can only recommend the F or C steering cu & D slip ring for dsg, cruise & mfsw, rest cant be sure.

I can only recommend the F or C steering cu & D slip ring for dsg, cruise & mfsw, rest cant be sure.

******, ive bought AG from the states, only £40 delivered came from a MKv GTi with MFSW

mike foster your a star :) thanks a lot pal i know what i need to do now but one more thing .... can you tell me exactly what the steering ecu part is called and the part number for my car please so i can order from TPS? thanks

You asked that in post #52 and I answered in post #53 !!!

******, ive bought AG from the states, only £40 delivered came from a MKv GTi with MFSW

Gynads - according to this :- Steering Wheel Control Module Versions - Ross-Tech Wiki

version AG is 'highline' ; Type 2 with steering angle sensor and should be ok for mfsw and cc.

Can't remember (or didn't know !) what year your car is but as long as you have slip ring version 'D' you should be ok.

Gynads - according to this :- Steering Wheel Control Module Versions - Ross-Tech Wiki

version AG is 'highline' ; Type 2 with steering angle sensor and should be ok for mfsw and cc.

Can't remember (or didn't know !) what year your car is but as long as you have slip ring version 'D' you should be ok.

Mines an 07 Mike, thats where i got my info from before ordering, but i wasn't sure if there was a difference between part numbers begining 1K0 and 8P0?

Mines an 07 Mike, thats where i got my info from before ordering, but i wasn't sure if there was a difference between part numbers begining 1K0 and 8P0?

Yes - there is a difference between 1K0 and 8P0 !

The classic example is version 'F'. 1K0 version 'F' is 'midline' and the 8P0 version is 'highline'

But fitment wise they are the same yes? As your previous post, the 1K0 AG i have bought accepts the Type 2 slip ring and supports CC and MF?

I have just bought a Highline ECU (as my original was a midline) and on the rosstec guide shows i have a type 1 slipring, can i retrofit a MFSW using a type 1 slipring, i am planning on doing both this and cruise at the same time! my car is a Feb 2005 registered and has a sport steering wheel like in post #40, Thanks in advance

Zac - the RT site does not show that your car already has a type 1 slip ring it merely shows that the ecu you have bought ( and, I'm guessing, but you've been talking to jb0o ) and his pm to me said you had bought 1K0 version 'B' which works with type 1 slip ring. Your car may have a type 2 fitted in which case it won't work !

As far as fitting a mfsw using a type 1 slip ring is concerned I don't really know if it will work but if the ecu only cost £20 it's worth trying. If it doesn't work then only £20 down the swanny !!

This is really useful info Guys :)

I have a type 'K' steering ECU ( 8P0 953 549 K) and can't find it listed on the link posted to the ross-tech site. Does anyone know if it will work with a FB MFSW?

Cheers,

josh

Yes, as I assume your car is newer from 09 onwards for that steering CU.

I have just bought an 8P0 953 549 K too, will this not work in my 2007 s3?

I'm confused, why would you buy that module after being advised it wont work on 07 cars mate, you need steering angle sensor connectivity, the PCB of the K module has this removed, so you will have issues.

I have just bought an 8P0 953 549 K too, will this not work in my 2007 s3?

Yes - it should be ok. The later versions can be retro-fitted.

Ooooooops - sorry, just read Niges post and didn't realise that the steering angle sensor has been removed !

I retro fitted version F to my car with no probs ! :blush:

Last edited:
Gutted. He has one for an older car, ill see if he hasnt sent already, if he can swap?