HELP, REMOVING SPEEDOMETER B5 A4 ( broken lamps)

gavbey

Reaction score
hellow my fellow audi owners.

i was wondering how to replace the dash ilumanation lamps?
i started the car one morning and noticed when i swiched on the lights that there was no light shining on 0 - around 40 mph?
i think it is a lamp that has blown but cant seem to find a way to remove the clocks. :scared2:
is it a whole dash removal job or am i being stupid?

any help would be apreciated

thank you.

:detective2:

Prise the upper steering column cowl off (the piece that looks like a roller shutter that hides the column height adjustment). This reveals a couple of screws. Undo these and the clocks will be free ish. There are 3 wiring plugs on the back of the clocks which need to be released, the 2 larger ones need a central locking tab releasing before the plug can be disengaged. Lower and extend steering column to aid clock removal. Haynes says remove steering wheel but it's not required.

It's not a bad job to do, had to do a few on mine now.

That is what i call a reply!

thank you so much mate. i will give it a try tonight. this might be a silly question but have you ever replaced the lamps? are the souldered in? either way is fine as im an electrician.

also if i put the clocks in from a 1997 v6 b5 a4. ( higher mph and higher rev range) would it be plug in and play or will the plugs be diferent? its only so i can have my spare set in the car while my original is being relamped?

thank you

What year is your car?

If its a 95/96 model it will have twist-fit filament bulbs, later ones have surface mount LED's but these dont tend to fail.

again if its a '95/96 the '97 clocks probably wont fit, as the immobiliser setup changed around then. You dont say what engine your car is either...

pretty sure if its got bulbs then its seperate immo,
quick way to tell is look at clock, early models didnt have numbers later immo cluster clocks are numbered 12 3 6 9

is yours a v6? if not at the very least it would need recoding but they should plug in

Hi guys.
Sorry but can I hijack this thread since some of you seem to have experience in the clocks...?
Anyone replaced the DIS screen? I found replacements on fleabay and wondered if anyone has done this before?
Cheers,
Ross.

you really need to be an expert in electronics work, with a hot air rework station etc.

The solderpads are minuscule.

i have a hot air rework station at work. and belive me mate using a normal soulderin iron will melt verything.!

cheers for the help chapps,

much appreciated