Strange Braking issue

Blackcupraa

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Good Morning ASN.

Car is '99 S3 APY engine code.

On my way to work this morning the car felt fine tyre pressures were checked last night.

Now when I braked into a corner (Hairpin) at less than 10 mph the ABS kicked in and the pedal went to the floor.

I then joined the main road and the pedal was fine normal pressure to slow down etc.

However when I pulled up into my parking space at work the car had an amount of steering lock on (3/4) to turn into the space nd when I applied the brakes the same thing happened!!

Any ideas as to what it could be? My initial thought was something on the tyres from the road etc however pulling into my parking space makes me think it may actually be a mechanical issue!

If i'm honest im fed up of the car now, I have spent nigh on 2k in the last 6 months rectifying issues etc.

Last edited:
Well that would have me worried too, obviously the pedal should never go to the floor ABS or not....
I would check your flexi hose from the hubs on the front wheels, to make sure there not kinked or anything, as it is happening when turning sharply, the flexis are the only thing moving....

As said check your hoses. Also check your brake fluid level and also check theres no leaks or anything.

Hi Chaps,

Brake lines etc are okay and no leaks, however after washing the car yesterday I reversed the car off the drive and when I applied left hand steering lock I heard the most god awful grinding noise, almost as if the driveshaft isnt fully seated. It alos happens when taking sharp left turns :(

As stated it sounds like an incorrectly seated driveshaft but the car drives straight and true with no suspicious wheel wobbles etc Any Ideas welcome!

Just to update, car is currently at JBS for diagnosis, it appears to be a collapsed wheel bearing. Slightly annoyed due to the fact it passed its MOT 2 weeks ago :(