HELP!! very BAD fuel consumption Update!

adzy

Reaction score
I took all ur advice and just took it to get plugged in to a VAG com and it showed up not One single fault.... typical so know im really confused as to what is causing my 22 mpg s3, :banghead: the unknown map and the piper cross induction kit perhaps???

22mpg where? town or motorway?

what temp does your dash. say when driving?

smooth rev idle?

the temp is always bang on 90 and there is a very tiny little rev mermer every so often but u have to really listen out for it while on idle as it is so slight. i get 22-23 around town, but surly when i got it plugged in it would have shown up if anything was wrong??

Why is it theres people out there that have modded their s3 alot more than mine running bigger power and they say that they get anything between 26 - 30? even in town? i dont know what map is on my car either which doesnt really help matters.

I tend to get 30-32mpg average, but it drops when im doing town driving or short trips, the S3 is drinks fuel when driving around town probably because of the short gears meaning your for ever changing

Why is it theres people out there that have modded their s3 alot more than mine running bigger power and they say that they get anything between 26 - 30? even in town? i dont know what map is on my car either which doesnt really help matters.

I suspect its because people will quote their average. Our A4 1.8T only manages around 24 if its being driven solely around town, and will do 30 on a motorway run. Our current average stands around 27-28mpg, as we do a lot of trips to scotland on the motorway which helps pull up the low figure from driving around town.

For the most part fuel consumption is a function of aerodynamic and frictional drag and the weight of the vehicle. An S3 is similar in weight to the A4, so i would expect similar figures. Clearly if you drive everywhere with your foot welded to the carpet its going to use more, but on real roads in towns etc thats rarely possible anyway.

It will also depend on the lengths of your journey. If i drive for 10miles around town, i will use less petrol than three trips of three miles, because the engine will spend more time fully warmed up in the longer journey.