2001 S3 facelift 210bhp 3000rev 5th Gear problem.

Seansy

Reaction score
Hello

I hope the below will make sense to you, as after spending god knows how much on my car i'm starting to get peeved!

I have just taken the car to work, and whilst driving on a dual carriageway, I started to notice a juddering around 3000rpm, the car refusing to go above that, which ever speed I was doing (around 40 to 50mph).

I took the car out of gear (5th) and blipped the throttle, to see if it was engine related but revved freely to 5000rpm with a light prod. I placed it back in gear and again, juddering.

As of very recently I had changed the battery as my old was had died, I checked my race diagnostics liquid display and it came back with two fault codes.

the former being a boost issue, possibly after some work done and more faults appearing after.

The latter is a lack of battery power, but it's the right battery allegedly...

Either way I dont feel that they are the reasons for the car doing what it's doing.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Seán

Check the hose that goes from the DV to the charge pipe for 17705

Check the hoses with the orange dots :)

P4201207-2.jpg

As of the drive home from work, it doesn't idle ok at all, in fact it started running like it had a misfire.

Two new fault codes!

Misfire, and more specific, in cylinder 1!

Coilpack maybe?

Either way.... Is it common for lots of small things to occur at around 100'000 miles with these engines? I have a better knowledge of Honda engines tbh, first 1.8t 20v I've ever owned.

yes that is what i thought straight off, your coil packs arent managing to create enough spark to fire your cylinder when it is under heavy load. I had this the other night in fourth gear full throttle overtaking up a hill. It was fine in third but when i changed up into the higher gear it juddered a bit, i put this down to coil pack lacking the necessary minerals...

I hate nights, I will get on top of this tomorrow!

If it is a coilpack problem, it's correct to change all of them at the same time?

Thank you all who've helped me!

Again thank you for the info. Four coilpacks purchased. :)

Really are a nice bunch of people here. Who thought Audi drivers were like that... ;-)

Regards

Seán

mine did it again this morning when overtaking, was raining quite heavily, maybe it doesnt like damp air either, i guess its hard to ignite water :)