Wheel question?

kennyb636

Reaction score
Just bought a set of s3 alloys for my a4 quattro went to put them on and realised they're a different offset which i didn't know.
Can you get a spacer or anything to get them to fit or is it sell them and get a new set.
Your help will be gratefully appreciatted.
Kenny.

How far out is the offset? You can buy spacer rings but it means youll have less bite on the wheel nuts. I you can buy longer bolts but its hassle, and it puts more pressure on the wheel bearings as your essentially lengthening the axle.

I would just get some more. Which design are they? The early S3s are 5x100 and i think the newer ones are 5x112? Might be wrong.

They're 5x100 so an early set. Really thought they'd all have the same offset, just getting used to VAG cars as this is my first one lol!
Been looking at pcd adapters but its 150 quid for the set not cheap.
Thanks for the help.

Offset is how much the wheel "sticks out" with reference to the hub flange.

PCD is the bolt spacing.

I suspect your talking about the PCD.

As you've discovered, the PCD is different between early A3/TT/Golf models and the later ones. Given the cost of the adaptors, and the fact that they space the wheel out which will result in the wheel poking out the arch, i'd just sell them on and buy a correct fitment set.

Just because you need adapters dosnt mean there going to stick out the arch. It depends on many factors. Dont pay a MASSIVE amount of attention when people try and tell you it won't work/to sell up. I'm not saying keep em', but people cant comment without knowing all the details.

Not really, when his original question was about offset.. Spacers would sort that out.. If you're saying that you can fit 5x100 wheels to a 5x112 hub without using a spacer, then your moving to the machining world and hub and disc modification. Which, lets be honest, isnt worth it for a new set of wheels.

If youre not, and you think that you can change the PCD without spacing the offset of the wheel out by at least about 20mm to hold the bolts inside the spacer, thats wrong. See here:

Performance Alloys.com® - The Alloy Wheel Experts

HTH.

If the bolt spacing is different then, in the real world, its not worth the hassle of sorting it out.

just buy some correct wheels and sell these on.

Edition38 or golfgtiforum are your best bet or maybe wheelwhores.

Not really, when his original question was about offset.. Spacers would sort that out.. If you're saying that you can fit 5x100 wheels to a 5x112 hub without using a spacer, then your moving to the machining world and hub and disc modification. Which, lets be honest, isnt worth it for a new set of wheels.

If youre not, and you think that you can change the PCD without spacing the offset of the wheel out by at least about 20mm to hold the bolts inside the spacer, thats wrong. See here:

HTH.

If the bolt spacing is different then, in the real world, its not worth the hassle of sorting it out.

You use adapters to change the pcd lad, not spacers. If using spacers it dosnt have to be as much as 20mm! Jeez!!!! You can pick them up starting at 10+ mm. So in the "real world" as you put it (where you live? The twilight zone?), if he so wished he could simply buy some adapters and job done. Assuming the S3 alloys are roughly ET 40, then this would bring them down (or out) to ET 25-30 depending on what size adapters he went for. Now as long as the rims are 8J or under (which they should be) and the tyres were no wider than say 225, there would be NO problem. I know this because I have exactly the same setup on my car at the moment. No rubbing, no fouling, no probs legally and passed the MOT at a mega anal dealership. So, in essence all he has to do is fork out £100 approx and adapters and longer bolts and job done. Fleabay, and he could do it even cheaper.

S3 alloys are ET32, and most PCD adaptors seem to be around 20mm.

So potentially he'd be down at ET12. Might still fit under the arches, but why screw up the cars suspension geometry, put the extra strain on the wheel bearings etc, when he could simply sell them on and buy the right wheels and likely be out of pocket by less than a set of adaptors would cost?

You use adapters to change the pcd lad, not spacers. If using spacers it dosnt have to be as much as 20mm! Jeez!!!! You can pick them up starting at 10+ mm. So in the "real world" as you put it (where you live? The twilight zone?), if he so wished he could simply buy some adapters and job done. Assuming the S3 alloys are roughly ET 40, then this would bring them down (or out) to ET 25-30 depending on what size adapters he went for. Now as long as the rims are 8J or under (which they should be) and the tyres were no wider than say 225, there would be NO problem. I know this because I have exactly the same setup on my car at the moment. No rubbing, no fouling, no probs legally and passed the MOT at a mega anal dealership. So, in essence all he has to do is fork out £100 approx and adapters and longer bolts and job done. Fleabay, and he could do it even cheaper.

Im not sure which planet you live on. Maybe the ones where they dont read posts as routine?

He asked about changing the offset. I suggested spacers.

How far out is the offset? You can buy spacer rings but it means youll have less bite on the wheel nuts. I you can buy longer bolts but its hassle, and it puts more pressure on the wheel bearings as your essentially lengthening the axle.

Then he realised he was possibly talking about the PCD after i posted that early A3 alloys were 5x100 and not 5x112. So i suggested adaptors. I even linked to them if you read.

Adaptors to change the stud pattern will almost certainly also act as a spacer of about 20mm, as i posted above. This is to hold the bolts that bolt it to the hub, before you rebolt your different PCD wheel to the spacer. If it was less you wouldnt have any bite from your new studs and it would be unsafe.

I never mentioned legality, however if you think that Audi have spend probably hundreds of thousands of Euros/Marks/Pounds for you to clag on your spacers just to knacker their geometry and fit your incorrect wheels, whilst in denial about it doing excess damage and wear to your wheel bearings, and still think its the way to go, good luck 'lad'.

Oh dear, just seen your last post. Sad (very sad infact) you took my post the wrong way. It wasnt meant as any kind of dig in your direction, just a bit of light hearted banter/humour. My reference to the words lad/kid etc are just another way of saying mate, buddy....simple figures of speech/regional variations of greetings and or aliases. And my reference to the twilight zone was,... Come on BJ, lighten up! Mummy not,....or are you just an angry lad?...Geometry??!!!?? Dude, your cars been lowered 50mm!! Nuff said on that matter big lad! Nice colour car by the way:laugh:..uhhhh...how shall I refer to you? Paul?? Lol!

P.S. Next time when you see "sence of humour" somewhere dont take it to heart, its probably not your fault.:crying: :blownose:

Lots of love....

Ollie the octupuss.:sign_ot: ;)

Last edited: