Car thinks boot is open

Mini-mad-matt

Reaction score
Hi,

Setting off the other day, I had the warning on the dash that the boot was open. I got out and opened and shut it to make sure. The warning stayed on. I then had a fiddle and with the ignition on (so I could see the display) I manually closed the catch with a screwdriver acting as the bar that it clicks into. I could then release it with the button as normal. Sometimes the warning went off, and sometimes not. I've given the mechanism a bit of a tap, and that certainly helps it to realise it's shut. The problem is, is that the warning can come back at ANYTIME, and it is setting the alarm off randomly with the car sat on the drive. I've taken to having to leave the boot only half shut, so that the car knows it's not shut initially, and therefore nothing will change to subsequently set the alarm off.
I assume there is a switch built into the lock mechanism that is somehow shorting to earth, or is misaligned.
Any advice gratefully received,

Cheers

MMM

This could be a very common problem with the switch which is built into the tailgate latch. What i would suggest you do is removed the trim on the rear door panel and inspect the small multi-plug onto the boot latch. Its just got a small micro switch built in which can get damp or water ingress. it only takes a small tiny drip to cause the switch to bring on the warning light and hence bring on the alarm i you have locked the car.

its a very common problem on all audi's, vw's. Try cleaning it with some electrical switch cleaner. if not Wd40 and clean off any excess. I work as a breakdown patrol. Ive been out to many cars with this prob. Normally at 11pm when customers are going mad with the alarm going off. If cleaning it doesnt work you will prob need a new a new latch. hope this helps.

Exactly as RacDave says.

This happened to me and outside the house it was causing the alarm to go off every 5 minutes. I took the lock out and dried everything all with a hair dryer and sprayed the plug with WD-40 and its spot on now.

The main reason why this happens: the washer hose becomes blocked/disconnected from the rear washer jet so when you use the rear washer, water is flooding into the boot.

Because of the weather etc i was using my rear wash jets alot more than i normally would which is why this problem occured with me.

It should be an easy fix. We get alot of them in cold/damp weather too. As i said it only takes a tiny bit of water to cause it to bring on the warning light and set off the alarm. Golfs and A3 are quite prone to it.

Thanks for the reply guys. Turned out to be the washer pipe/wiper motor problem. Got it sorted on my AA warranty (unbelievably) and now all's well with it.

Cheers

MMM