S3 hesitates at 5000 rpm full throtlle

Dub16V

Reaction score
The last couple of days my S3 seems to be getting a problem.
When i accelerate full throttle, at 5000 rpm the car hesitates or even cuts out.
It only does it a full throtlle and at 5000 rpm.
All the rest is fine.
Car is a '99 with APY engine.

Any engine management lights or error codes??

Have you had the car scanned??

Also, has this only just started happening, if so are you having any other symptons or issues??

car is running at full temp (i never drive hard on cold engine's)
No engine lights go on.
And it just started about a week ago.

I had this before, round 5k felt like i was hitting a brick wall in acceleration and then sometimes kicked back in.
I looked and found a load of pipes including cam case breather hoses were seriously degraded and fallen apart almost, i replaced these and the car is fine now, pulling better than ever!

As above, check all the pipes, if you can do a pressure or smoke test that will give you a clear indication of any leaks, normally the pipes around the inlet manifold are the ones that go, also if you look on the side of the inlet manifold there is a E shaped connection, if you have a look at this, you may need to take it off and just look in the middle of it as it normally splits there.

Let us know how you get on.

today i had it checked and it came with 2 fault-codes

17796 - Control Module Malfunction - DBW Throttle Monitoring
Intermittent

16486 MAF Sensor (G70):
Signal too low
Intermittent

but the MAF was changed about 3 months ago.

If you have a look on the ross tech website, it will give you a full breakdown of what the errors are mate.

Re the MAF, is it a genuine one, it could actually be a faulty one....maybe worth replacing under warranty.

Try driving with the MAF disconnected and see if the car feels the any different or the same and report back mate, if its the same, proably not the MAF.

Also since you changed the MAF 3 months ago, did you clear the codes from then??

hi guys,

last sunday i took the airbox cover off.
I found what looked like coolingfluid on top of the filter , which looked like it came from the secundairy air-pump hose.

well, problem wasn't solved by replacing the hose.
Some days it ran fine, other days same problem.
disconnected the secundairy air pump, car goes like hell.
no problems since.