How to make an S3 sound like a sports hatch?

Chimera

Reaction score
Website
www.chimera-s3.com
"Made by winners, made for fun" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Need to change that, sounds very MG Rover. Nice car though, much improved looks on the standard car.

Have forgotten what a gruff sounding beast the 1.8T is, what can be done to rectify this?

I do NOT want boy racer booming exhausts or useless induction kits ..

I'm thinking Supersprint exhaust (suppliers?) and possibly a BMC carbon airbox... opinions?

Cheers,
Adam

forget the airbox - just annoys the drivers but outside cant hear it

good exhaust like the miltek isnt much louder but sounds nicer - car still sounds like a tractor particularly at startup though...

dont talk crap, bmc induction looks and sounds the nuts, u can hear it plain as day outside the car, and its also proven to give up to ten hp gain higher up in the revs

Play a recording of your favoriate sounding "sports hatch" very loud through your stereo - it's amazing!

Kev

[ QUOTE ]
monty77 said:
Personally I couldn't give a flying if it gives me more HP, but a nicer noise would be nice - sounds like a foodmixer as std!

...missing the 5cylinder warble of my old car badly

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

the BMC wont particaularly do anything to power...not until the your pushing 300+bhp, but it will give you a SLIGHTLY deeper induction note... Its nothing drastic, and nothing that you will get sick of. If your not looking for the power benefits, then go for it... Its one of the better kits available.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
monty77 said:
Personally I couldn't give a flying if it gives me more HP, but a nicer noise would be nice - sounds like a foodmixer as std!

...missing the 5cylinder warble of my old car badly

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

the BMC wont particaularly do anything to power...not until the your pushing 300+bhp, but it will give you a SLIGHTLY deeper induction note... Its nothing drastic, and nothing that you will get sick of. If your not looking for the power benefits, then go for it... Its one of the better kits available.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks...

Rich - do the prices on your website incl VAT? Do you offer forum member discount?

...best price on a Miltek and a BMC airbox? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cheers,
Adam

Adam,

All prices are +vat. We offer 5% discount for members, so take the total price -5% +vat and thats what you pay.

Cheers

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Adam,

All prices are +vat. We offer 5% discount for members, so take the total price -5% +vat and thats what you pay.

Cheers

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your price on the Supersprint? And why are exhausts for the S3 so damned expensive when I can get someone like Stealth Systems in s'ton to make me one for £400 tops ?

Cheers,
Adam

[ QUOTE ]
monty77 said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Adam,

Cheers

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your price on the Supersprint? And why are exhausts for the S3 so damned expensive when I can get someone like Stealth Systems in s'ton to make me one for £400 tops ?

Cheers,
Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know... They are a ****** rip of!

The Milltek for the S3 is £394+vat (inc 5% discount)... the superspint is VERY expensive, and also i dont THINK the street system is any bigger bore which means its alot of money for a nicer sound! The milltek is bigger bore.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
Hmm...but I'll wager the Supersprint system will fit properly, not knock underneath, and the tailpipes / rear box will probably sit square!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm thinking. I had a Miltek on my Coupe and it was lovely but I'm just reading far too much about crappy fitment on the S3s to make me spend £500 on one.

I'm thinking Supersprint, or perhaps a custom jobbie from someone I can return to and shout at if it doesn't fit 100% perfect.

Adam

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
Hmm...but I'll wager the Supersprint system will fit properly, not knock underneath, and the tailpipes / rear box will probably sit square!

[/ QUOTE ]

But has that not changed since your system was made? I seem to remember that being said in a previous post... Could be wrong.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
monty77 said:
Is this a good price for the Supersprint?

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/category_results.mhtml?category=exhau&car=audis3&manufacturer=super

Can you match or better it Rich? Would rather give you the business but money is money...

Cheers,
Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good price... one which i cant match. They must have the same supplier as us so dont know how they could do them so cheap. We are the same price but +vat not including. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
dunk said:
forget the airbox - just annoys the drivers but outside cant hear it

good exhaust like the miltek isnt much louder but sounds nicer - car still sounds like a tractor particularly at startup though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunk, just read your sig,

when did we get MTM'd??

off topic, but

gettting mtm'd as we speak -kit on now, getting the custom mapping from the chap from mtm germany.

gave up waiting for jabba or amd to come up with a reliable ihi solution that could be fitted in less than 2 weeks

Anyone else with a milltek on their S3 want to join in the conversation?

Yes mate, got the milltek on mine with a 3" d/pipe and single cat. Milltek is really close at the centre box. Has knocked a few times, had a little adjust and seems to be ok now. Still close though.
BTW I've seen dogbone mounts mentioned in this thread a couple of times. Would this be the mounting underneath the gearbox ? Need an uprated one to try and reduce movement(d/pipe a bit tight).If so can you supply Rich ?

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
s3bow said:
Anyone else with a milltek on their S3 want to join in the conversation?

Yes mate, got the milltek on mine with a 3" d/pipe and single cat. Milltek is really close at the centre box. Has knocked a few times, had a little adjust and seems to be ok now. Still close though.
BTW I've seen dogbone mounts mentioned in this thread a couple of times. Would this be the mounting underneath the gearbox ? Need an uprated one to try and reduce movement(d/pipe a bit tight).If so can you supply Rich ?

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i can mate... They are £15.95+vat/del

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
dunk said:
s3 with mtm 345hp/gmbh springs+koni/neuspeed ARBs/adjustable tie-bars/18"oem rstt+235-40-18 GSD3s/355+308mm brakes/ACE haldex controller/dogbone/satnav plus/phatnoise/anymac sub/infinity kappa speakers/sony bluetooth

[/ QUOTE ]
I hadn't clocked that either... So, when do we start the door-to-doors for the petition to have all the roads around here floodlit and re-surfaced?

I'll race you to the next North-West meet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif You know with the 15" -> Avus transition on my 1.6S I'll have the acceleration and handling to keep up with what's become an MTM S3 since I last saw it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Regards,

Rob.

unless they fix the potholes i aint racing anywhere....

my teeth are long enough and loose enough already thanks

ess_three - the only thing missing now are the driving skills.....

[ QUOTE ]
dunk said:
oops - ecs 355mm brake kit doesnt fit my car - pads and calipers dont fit over the disks properly and the left and right side of the kit arent machined the same for some reason.

so having to swap over to movit 345mm 996tt kit - lots more money but at least it does fit

[/ QUOTE ]

Im sure that the kit will fit... Just that an incorrect part has been placed in the kit... Most likely the bracket or rotor hat... Easily rectified.

Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I have a full Miltek system and cats on my S3, tailpipes fit square to bumper cut out although back box sits lower on the n/s, also knocked underneath at first but by replacing the middle rubber mount for thick h/duty one and squeezing the rubber tight with a strong cable tie it sorted it.

[ QUOTE ]
amb276s3 said:
I have a full Miltek system and cats on my S3, tailpipes fit square to bumper cut out although back box sits lower on the n/s,

[/ QUOTE ]

So it doesn't fit properly then?
As usual, it's not made properly...it shouldn't sit squint...the standard one doesn't, why should an aftermarket system?

[ QUOTE ]

also knocked underneath at first but by replacing the middle rubber mount for thick h/duty one and squeezing the rubber tight with a strong cable tie it sorted it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, and of course, we have to do that with the OE Audi system. Why should you have to mess about with sub-standard products at over inflated prices...just to get them to fit?