Where are my missing Horses!?

ChrisSThree

Reaction score
Hi I fitted a liquidGauge a couple of weeks back (a great bit of kit) But it seems that the car is not putting out the horsepower I was expecting, as the car has a AMD remap i was hoping for 260bhp. I'm actually getting 220bhp

I have tried a couple of bits of trouble shooting -the MAF was reading a lowish figure so I replaced it this improved my gms from 169 to around 190 and I have just made a boost leak tester and found no leaks.

So has anyone got any ideas on what I should look or test next?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Specs

2001 S3 AMK - 100k miles
AMD remap, milltek cat back exhaust, pipercross filter, forge DV, boosting to around 22psi

Last edited:
A stage 1 remap should give a MAF reading of around 200 - 205 GS I had an underreading MAF a few months ago and it was giving 190 ish GS from memory. The car felt fine, but a new MAF gave a consistent 205GS and fuel economy was improved. Using the .8 formula; 205gs gives 256bhp

My car last gave me 258bhp and that was with the MAF on the way out. My g/s at the time was 208 with a BMC CDA kit. I'm on a stage 1 map too with a few mods. I peak at 22.3 psi.

Generic Stage 1 maps don't make the power claims that people say. A realistic 260 bhp from a stage 1 map is very very unusual. 245 - 250 is much more common power output wise.

Don't believe everything people tell you - Gordon Brown told everyone he was a good guy - in actuality, he was a ****.

Not sure with AMD maps, but around 190-200 g/s is normal for most.

What mods have you got other than the map?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, so I'm not doing as bad as I thought by the sounds of things.

Since I replaced the MAF with a new one from Audi the readings have settled to 185 to 187 max, this just seems a bit low (I don't suppose that the new MAF is faulty?)

Welly, the only other mods are a milltek cat back, a forge DV and a performance filter

Chris

185 g/s does sound really low for a stage 1 mapped S3. my stage 1 mapped A3 1.8T is making 183 g/s!

I'd be doing some logs in Vagcom if I were you, to see what kind of boost it's requesting, and what the CF's look like