can anyone help!

Leaky Lloyd

Reaction score
took my car out for a little spin through the yorkshire countryside this afternoon and i noticed when i put my foot down in 6th while doing a steady 50 to 60,, rather than pick up speed,, the engine just revs like you have your foot planted on the clutch!
im not a mechanic so i aint got a clue why its happening,,
i did notice this stopped once the engine is warmed up and runs and pics up speed perfectly,, although there does seem to be a very slight sort of tinny scraping noise when sat at idle revs???
can any one help????
thanks dudes!

TEST start your engine pull your handbrake on nice and tight put your car in 1st gear let your clutch out as if your trying to drive away give it a few more revs than you usualy do. if it stalls its not your clutch if it just sits there and revs your clutch is ******. i do this for people and have tryed 1st 2nd and 3rd gears cause sometimes it always stalls in first gear and when you try it in 2nd and 3rd it makes the car labour more thus working the clutch a bit better.

is it best to do this from cold,, what i mean is,, are there parts on the clutch which could be expanding when warm, eiminating the problem?

id say do it in 2nd no rev just let your foot up it should stall if its not sliping and if its only doing it when cold could be you have a small weep
of gearbox oil from the seal and this would make it slip till it burns off

the car will stall if he dosent rev it. the point of reving it is to make the clutch work harder so as he knows its slipping. all he needs to do is find a hill and drive up it in a high gear and boot it then theres no doubt.