HELP HELP - ENGINE TEMP GOES TO 120 ON DIAL - PIC

danonline

Reaction score
Hi all.

Can you help.

My audi a3 tdi 2002 has started acting odd. The temp guage will rise and fall alot (sometimes even within 2 mins when the engine is in cold (upto 120 max)

The guage then sorts itself out over time and goes back to 90 but then rises again.

The garage could not find any fault codes and said the engine temp reads 90 when the guage says 120.

Any ideas as its annoying as the warning keeps going on + I would not know if it did overheat ever.

P.s no boiling water overflowing out of bottle.

Thanks.

Oh and if this helps I oriiginally thought it was the thermostat so changed it (as before bottom pipe seemed cold?) but seems the same now with new thermostat in - also garage said car is not overheating and the audi engines take ages to overheat.

Knackered temperature sensor perhaps? Common problems on Tdi's, but usually the temp display stops working, but in your case, it's obviously going over the top. Does the fans kick in when you get the overheating warning on the dash?

sounds like the temp sensor to be honest, but there should be 2- you want the one for the display.

No the fan does not come on. Never seen them on?

Report does say fan codes on - what ever that means?

Do the dash boards ever go faulty or does this sound sensor related? Thing is would a sensor not show faulty on diagnostics? as they came back ok. I noticed when I took the thermo out the car ran very cold and temp did not go up (was around 70 - 60) but this is totally different with it in - Car is defo not overheating as I can open the bottle after a long drive and it does not bubble or explode out.

yeh it does sound like it just change it anyway as theyre quite a common fault.

I have the exact same problem, but my temp dial just goes to 120 once the car is warmed up and stays there. The climate control code where you display temperature is at normal operating temp though.
So it this most likely a sensor then, or the dash that's faulty?

Thanks

I have the exact same problem, but my temp dial just goes to 120 once the car is warmed up and stays there. The climate control code where you display temperature is at normal operating temp though.
So it this most likely a sensor then, or the dash that's faulty?

Thanks

Temp sensor is most likely, it's quite a common problem, the temp sensor. Cheap to try or fix though...