Maybe a C6 now then instead of a C5?

reggieroo

Reaction score
Website
www.theirishshop.co.uk
Hi,

I've been looking for an A6 avant now as a replacement family car to our 52 plate A4 1.9 TDI.

I had originally been looking at a 2.5 TDI 180 Quattro around a 51 plate & spending around £4500-£5000 but the misses is not really into the shape & doesn't really like it that much. She keeps saying she has seen nicer ones & I explained that it's probably the newer C6 shape she is referring too. Showed her some pics & I was correct it is the C6 she likes.

I have since found a 56 plate 2.0TDI A6 Avant SE for £6750. It's a little more than we wanted to spend but can't help thinking what a much nicer looking car the newer shape C6 is. It's silver with 18" RS6 alloys, high mileage for the year at 122k but full Audi service history.

The only thing I was really into getting a nice 180bhp Quattro & remapping it to 210bhp but now I've started looking at the C6 I'm kinda thinking it's nicer too. I will have to sacrifice some power though & no Quattro..........................I'm in a bit of a dilemma now!

Is the C6 a much better car to have overall?

It's probably a problem some of you may have faced, an older more powerful car or a newer less powerful more sensible car. :unsure:

I would stick with the c5 to be honest as it is a tried and trusted platform with not much to go wrong on it but i am a bit biased though as i have had a few b5/c5 models ! The thing that puts me off on the new c6 platform is the ammount of electronic gadgets wich will go wrong sooner or later: electric handbrake (had a few friends wich came to me for hand brake related issues, had to either replace wiring loom or the whole caliper electronics/motors/ECU), the funky multimedia integrated interface (whats wrong with a decent DVD head unit ?) and the interiors wich feel cheaper than the old model. The 2.0L tdi engine isnt particularly that reliable and it will give troubles pretty soon( google balance shaft failures, injectors, turbochargers and DMF + clutches, to name just a few...), you better off with a final edition c5 1.9 Tdi wich is stronger overall and will came with a lot of kit as standard.

Well it seems we're definitely on for an allroad. She wanted a 4x4 like an ML to begin with but after I told her it would cost a lot more to run she changed her mind. Then it was a freelander etc etc.

We really do need a Quattro though as we are in a Village in the sticks & the roads never get gritted. Last winter we we're stuck in for nearly a week because of the snow. A Quattro is the sensible choice & the allroad is the one she likes best for some reason. I'm not so keen on the plastic bumpers etc but they do seem to all come fully loaded & all 2.5 tdi all seem to be 180bhp. :thumbsup:

Have already called a chap about 2002 51 plate in grey metallic,2.5 tdi 180 tiptronic, leather & 129k with FSH for £4900.

[LEFT said:
Watty[/LEFT];1062703]But it can be a grand a corner if the air suspension has problems......!!!!!!

Well the one I'm going to look at, at the weekend has had the air suspension sorted 6 months ago according to the seller. He had problems with the suspension soon after he bought it, took it back to the garage & they fitted a new compressor. Doe's this sound about right?

Think the compressor is around £700 ish, if it's a good price, then go for it. I wanted an allroad 2 years ago, but saw this A6 Quattro with a good spec, so got it. Still love the allroads as you can lower them by tricking the car's 'normal' height.

Check the engine code. If its 2001 model and AKE then the cams and followers are at risk and must be checked before you buy it. This was exacerbated if the engines were put on the extended service interval. Later models cured the problem of early cam wear.